Chapter 24

I started working with grandmom a few days after mom left as I started missing her terribly. Though we talked many times in the day her absence affected me. To keep my mind occupied grandmother suggested me to come and sit with her in the boutique. My interest developed and I started to keep the books of the store and I was equally fascinated by designs and variety of cloth material she used in making her masterpieces. I started taking fashion textile courses online and later joined an open school to complete my schooling as I was not comfortable around people.

"Congratulations" Grandmother greeted me as I gave her my tenth marks memo after six months.

"Thanks," I said touching her feet. She hugged me midway. "It's all because of you," I said as she was the one who encouraged me to complete my studies not wasting any more time.

"There is still a long way to go for you and I know you will"

I smiled for her. That weekend my parents came over and we celebrated with Biryani and sweets.

Mom handed me a Samsung s6 "this is your gift"

"Thank you but I don't want it," I said

"You deserve it" mom urged.

"No" I was resolute as I didn't want to use any cell. It meant someone could contact me and I didn't want that. The only phone I used was at my grandmother's reception.

"Come outside your gift is waiting," dad said gesturing me. I saw a brand new Honda CR-V at my door.

"Wow," I shrieked. "This is awesome."

"Isn't it?"

"But I don't know driving" I sighed.

"You can always learn," Dad said handing me the keys of the car.

"Thanks," I said hugging dad. But immediately withdrew back as he folded his hands in an embrace around me.

My driving lessons started with a lady tutor who came in the early morning and taught me for two hours. Within six months I had become perfect and took grandmother for shopping. I waited in the car until she got everything she needed.

My bonding with grandmom increased with each passing day. She shared with me stories of her past. Grandfather had cheated on her with his cousin and when confronted left her stranded. His family supported him in his decision as she belonged to a rich family and her father gave him many fields and houses in dowry for marrying her. While my grandmom being an orphan didn't have anything. She came here in this small town as she did not want to be pitied by those around her and didn't want to spend her life working and being degraded in their households. She wanted to be independent. Though her initial struggle was tremendous, she finally found a way out of it by finding now famous and most sought after boutique by the small savings she accumulated stitching clothes for others. She was an inspiration for me.

Night had dawned and I was waiting outside a cloth store for grandmother when my back door opened and someone jumped inside.

"What are you doing?" I yelled at the girl "get out of my car now."

"Please help me please, please" she begged. She had bruises on her hand and face.

"Who are you? Why did you get in my car?" I freaked.

"Please I need your help, I will explain to you everything. My life is in danger." She was crying. My instinct was to trust her but I was still skeptical. She ducked below the window covering her face with her duppatta. I remembered the time I was as afraid as she was now and decided to help her. I saw a few men looking around but before they came to our car. I started and drove home. Upon reaching I called grandmother on her cell phone and asked her to take auto explaining everything. I offered the girl water and made her sit in the living room. "Thank you," she said wiping tears and sweat from her face.