Chapter 27

I was woken by a knock on the door.

"Are you awake?" Aunt asked

"Yeah" I replied removing the blanket from my face.

"Get ready and come for breakfast."

"Okay," I said

I had to again look at Raafay. Well, I was in his home I chuckled. I freshened up and packed my things. I had planned to leave right after breakfast. When I went into the dining room, Shoaib uncle was reading newspaper and aunty was in the kitchen. There was no sign of Raafay.

"Assalamaaleikum" I greeted uncle.

"Oh, waleikumsalam beta," he said keeping the newspaper down. "Come sit here," he said patting the sofa beside him.

I did as told.

"What brings you here? That's for later. First, tell me how are you?" He asked

"I am fine. How is your health?"

"It's good. Though sometimes I have knee pain everything is fine"

"I prayed for you a lot my child. We felt devastated when you went missing. Till the day our prayers were answered."

Here we go again I thought. "Thanks, uncle" I muttered.

"I have seen you since you were a child, I wish all the blessings of Allah be bestowed upon you."

"Thank you," I said, "I will see if aunt needs any help". I said desperate to break the conversation.

"Okay," he said resuming reading the newspaper.

"Can I help you aunt?" I asked entering the kitchen.

"It's almost over beta; I was just taking these to the table."

"Give it to me I said taking the dishes from her hand." I turned around to face Raafay. It startled me and they almost slipped from my hand.

"Assalamualaikum," he said smiling. Why does he always have to smile? It annoyed me to the ends.

"Waleikumsalam" I muttered and went past him.

While having breakfast uncle asked, "where are you going now?"

"I was thinking about going to Hyderabad," I said. "It's been a long time."

"Three years and six months," Raafay said.

Our eyes met and I moved them away thinking how time had passed hiding from the world and dwelling in self-pity.

"That's great," uncle Shoaib said "Raafay is leaving for Hyderabad too. You can both go together".

"Yes," aunt shehnaz added, "it is not safe for a girl to drive such a long distance alone."

In what mess did I land myself in?

"It's okay Aunt, I drove from Coorg alone" I lied.

Driving alone did scare me but thought of Raafay on my side the whole time was scarier. Raafay didn't say anything but I could see him trying to stifle his smile.

"Raafay" uncle said, "cancel your air ticket and go with Maria and don't let her drive."

"Okay Baba," he said taking his phone out. His eagerness could be seen in his actions.

This is not happening I thought to myself.

"No uncle" I tried hard to cover the pleading in my voice. "I will manage. Don't waste your time and money" I said turning to Raafay.