Chapter 39

"Instead of starting another production unit what if we increase the capacity of our existing units," I suggested Salman who had come up with the idea.

"Yes it would work for now but if we increase stores and have to supply to the franchises in other cities. I don't think it would be sufficient."

"That's right," Farah said sitting beside Salman at the opposite side of my desk.

"Increase existing units to their full capacity and start another one on a large scale which could supply all our upcoming franchises in other cities also. We will manage this city stores through our existing production units."

"We need to start our new unit in a district then as we would need a very large area for it's set up and which would be hard to find in the city," Salman said, "and from the production unit itself we will package and transport to the franchise owners."

"Okay."

"How much time do you think it will take for it to become fully functional?" I asked

"Three to six months at max."

"Get started. Give me quotations on how much money we would need and we will talk to investors about it"

"Okay," he said getting up

"One more thing," I said.

"Yes?"

"I want to invest in it more than them so that the important decisions still remain in our hands and shares too."

"You are right," Salman said sitting down. "I and Farah will also see how much we can invest."

"But," Farah said cutting him off. "We can't. Not yet"

"I will look into it," he said curtly to her and she looked away. I sensed something was not going right in between them but I didn't probe not wanting to interfere in their matters.

"Okay then," I said, "I will talk to dad about it too."

"Right," he said turning towards me. He was looking suave wearing a black tuxedo and with his jet black short hair unlike what I remembered in school. He used to wear biker jackets and had long hair with highlights. He had been a rebel and had caused so much trouble to his parents, staying outside the home all night, clubbing, smoking, racing, you name it he had done it. And the first time I saw him after returning to Hyderabad, he had returned from prayer wearing white traditional dress both of which he didn't do before. I wondered how life changes a man.

"I will go then," he said breaking my chain of thoughts.

"Yeah sure. Allah hafiz."(God protect you)

"Allah hafiz," Farah said but he didn't bother to answer.

"Hmmm, so you have talked to aunty?" I asked her taking her thoughts away from Salman.

"Who?"

"Your mother, Farah."

"No. I don't want to."

"Why?"

"You know why Maria," Farah said, "and I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"I want to hear from your mouth," I said, "how long will you stay angry at your mother?"

"She wasn't there when I needed her the most. When I was alone, vulnerable" she said trying to control the tears brimming in her eyes. "Your mother, Salman's mother supported me, took care of me. Where was my mother then? And why does she want to talk to me now?" she barked.