Chapter 21

Ariel's POV:

I stared at Louis' father with shock. Why did Louis not like him so much?? Why did his mom seem afraid?

And why was his father looking at me like I was a piece of meat?

"Why can't I just stop by to say hello to my only son?" His father asks mockingly and I frown. What was going on?

"Get the hell out of here before I make you." Louis growls dangerously and my eyes widen. He sounded so dark and deadly...it scared me.

His father laughs until his eyes land on me and Louis' mother again.

"I've got a little business I want to take care of." He says lustfully and I grip Louis' moms hand for support.

She gripped me tight and we exchanged a fearful look.

"Ariel. Mom. Get upstairs. Now." Louis commands, not turning to us but keep his gaze fixed on his father, who was smiling like a mad man.

"Come on dear." His mom whispers and begins to drag me upstairs. "Wait, Louis-" I start but she shakes her head, tears gathering in her eyes as she tugs me toward the stairs.

"He'll be okay, just come on baby. We gotta go." She begs and I open my mouth to protest, not wanting to leave Louis with this dangerous looking man.

But after seeing her face I gave in and nodded. I turned to Louis and saw him give me a quick glance before the two of us went upstairs.

We went into her bedroom and she closed the door behind her, looking at me with fear.

"What's going on?" I ask worried and she opens her mouth to say something but something breaking downstairs makes both of us jump.

My eyes are wide in fear and I look towards the door. "He's fine. I'll tell you what's happening." His mom says and I nod, trying to settle my mind from the thought that Louis is in danger.

"Louis' father and I split a long time ago." She starts and I nod, willing her to go on.

"He didn't handle it so well...and to prevent him from doing anything to Louis, since he was young, I had to make a deal with him." She whispers sadly and fear makes my stomach clench.

No. Please tell me she hasn't gone through what I have.

"I'm so sorry. You don't have to explain if you don't want too." I say but she shakes her head. "No, you deserve to know." She says and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Why?" I ask and she softly smiles. "I've never known Louis to show so much interest in someone. He truly needs you and cares for you, even if he doesn't show it as much." She says and I blush.

"It started when Louis was ten. So right years ago. The deal was for Louis to stay with me, I had to go to him every month for eight years." She says and I cover my mouth with my hand.

"He beat me. Every time got worse. But my last time was just last month, I don't know why he's back." She cries and I run to her and hold her in my arms.

This woman is so sweet and so broken. I feel so horrible about what she's been through.

"I've been through similar things." I say, the words falling off my tongue before I can stop them. She looks at me in shock and fear and I nod sadly. I don't know why but I trusted her like my own mother.

"My dad...hired people to take me away for four years. I was...beaten, sexually abused...all that." I whisper, not going into detail about what happened.

"Oh honey I'm so sorry. Does Louis know about that?" She asks and I nod. "He does, but I just want to be able to trust him." I say truthfully and she nods.

"I understand sweetheart. I'm so glad he found you. You're good for him. Louis does have a history of violence though." She warns and I nod.

"Why?" I ask and she gives me a sad look. "His dad was a big effect on that. He became distant and got into some bad things. It's not my story to tell though, I'm surprised he hasn't told you." She says with a frown and I nod slowly.

More ruckus came from downstairs and I gulped nervously. When I heard yelling and Louis yell I lost my cool. I took a step towards the door and I felt Louis' mom take a deep breath.

"Ariel, don't do it. You won't like what you find." She warns and I falter. But another pained yell from Louis sends me over the edge. I HAD to know if he was okay or not.

I ran to the door and opened it, ignoring Louis' moms desperate cries.

I go halfway down the stairs but freeze as I see the scene before me. My hand flies over my mouth and I fight the scream that wanted to come out.

Things were thrown everywhere and Louis was on top of his father, blood coming from his shoulder and lips as he pounded his fist repeatedly into his fathers face.

A small gasp escapes my lips and he freezes, seizing to beat his dad's bloody face. He sees me and his eyes widen.

I take a step back in fear.

"No." Louis whispers and I stumble back as he gets up, leaving his father's unconscious body on the ground.

Right now I didn't see Louis. All I saw was Brendon when he was about to beat me. Louis was scaring me just as much right now because of that mental image in my head.

Louis looked as me desperately as he saw the fear on my face. "Not you. Please not you." He begs and I ignore him, running back up the stairs.

His mom saw my distressed state and her face paled. "You saw?" She croaks and I nod.

"I thought he was in trouble." I whisper, my voice sounding small. "Ariel." She says and I look at her, following her finger as she points behind me.

Louis was standing there with anxious eyes and a desperate look on his face.

"Ariel. Please."