Chapter 22

Ariel's POV:

I stared at Louis in fear as he approached me. "Please, Ariel, just let me explain." He begs me and I take a step back from him.

Nervousness is clear on his face as he tries to reach out to me. I flinch away in fear, remembering Brendan's cruelty. Hurt and fear flash on Louis' face and he gulps.

"Ariel, it's not what you think." He says and I shake my head, tears coming in my eyes. "I...I better leave. I'll leave this to the two of you." Louis' mom mutters and I give her a pleading look. She ignores me and brushes past, going out of the room and giving Louis one more look with a sigh.

"Be gentle with her." She whispers and closes the door. Louis turns to me and I start to shake. "Ariel, I need to explain this." He starts and comes to me. I stumble backwards with a whimper, showing him how scared I was.

"Please...don't hurt me." I whisper quietly and the room fills with silence.

"Ariel....you don't really think I would hurt you?" He asks softly and I gulp, sniffling as I looked at him.

He had blood all over his knuckles and some on his face and shoulder. He looked intimidating, if it weren't for the desperate look on his face.

He sunk to his knees before me and hung his head. My mouth dropped in shock as small, almost inaudible sobs escaped his lips. Was he...crying?

"L-Louis?" I stutter and he looks up at me, his eyes red and tears in his eyes. "Ariel I can't lose someone else, I can't do that again. I'm sorry, just please, please let me explain. I can't lose you." He cries and I stand there stunned.

I blinked slowly before carefully approaching him, him still crying on his knees. I wrapped my arms around his torso and gently ran my fingers through his hair.

His body instantly relaxed and his arms wrapped around my legs, keeping me in place. "I-it's...okay. I'll listen." I say gently and he looks up at me with relief-filled eyes.

"Thank you." He says and I offer him a small smile. I didn't really know how to react. I was still scared, but seeing him breakdown like this must mean that he has a bad past as well, one that involves violence.

I eased myself down into my knees and looked him in the eyes as he stared at me. "Tell me." I urge and he nods, taking a deep breath before telling his story.

Louis' POV:

"It started when I was ten, and I first found out that my mother was..." I start, not wanting to tell her that my mom was beaten. "When she was beaten? I know about that...she told me." Ariel whispers and my eyes widen.

Mom never tells anyone about that unless she trusts them fully...I guess Ariel just had that effect on her.

"Oh, okay. Well when I first found out I didn't know how to handle it. I tried to fight my father when I saw it happening one night and he beat me. Horribly. After that I felt completely helpless."

"I started going to a gym to build up my strength and stamina. I started to get stronger day after day, but I attracted some unwanted attention. When I was 11 I was brought into a gang. I did some really bad things." I say and pause, trying to gauge her reaction.

Her eyes were misty and she gulped. "What kind of things?" She asks lowly and I sigh. I swallowed back more tears and looked at her.

"I beat kids up for fun and tortured others. That's what I did until I was sixteen. By then...people were so afraid of me that I didn't even have to beat them up, they ran away. Me and my gang were all the same age, just rebels in the city. They killed a few men that they didn't like and I just tagged along. I never killed anyone though." I say hastily and she nods, urging me to go on.

"Sad to say I had almost forgotten about my mom because I was so involved with this gang. But I caught one of my dad's men beating her once again, and this time when I lashed out I beat him extremely bad, pounded his face in. My mom got scared of me...she wouldn't even talk to me for a while. I was broken, so I went out on my own."

"I beat so many people, most of them were in the hospital for weeks. I didn't feel bad about it until I was caught and put on probation. I almost went to jail, but my mom bailed me out." I say and her mouth drops.

"My anger now is so much worse than what I once had. Anything can make me lash out. That's why I beat Brendan so badly. And everyone else..." I mutter and she gulps.

"Is that it?" She whispers and I nod, taking her hands in mine. "Please, Ariel, I moved here to escape my past, not bring it with me. I came to change and I met you. Please don't leave me." I basically beg her and she sighs, putting her head down.

"Louis, I just don't want you to hurt me. Physically or mentally." She says and my lungs tighten. I was about to do that, I would've done that if I had kept the bet. But that's over with now. I had to keep this girl with me.

"I won't. I won't hurt you." I say and she nods, tears slipping from her eyes. "I'm sorry." She whispers and wraps her arms around me gently. "I'm sorry too." I say, knowing exactly what we were talking about.

We sat there for a while hugging until she pulled away. "What?" I ask and she stands up abruptly. "Your mom." She says and I stand up confused. "What about her?" I say and she gives me a look of worry. "She's out there with your dad." She says and I curse.

One scream was all it took and I was out the door, going downstairs to see my dad's bloody face glaring at my mom as she looked around in fear.

"Get away from her!" I yell and he gives me a cautious look. I stand in front of my mom and push Ariel behind me. I wasn't going to let him hurt anyone I loved ever again.

"Well boy looks like you're learning. I'll cut to the chase now so you don't have to act like a hero. I'm here for my final payment." He snarls and I stiffen.

Final payment? What??? He's already done enough to my mother, he needs to leave her alone. And if he even THINKS about touching Ariel he can suck it.

"What payment?" I snap and he chuckles darkly. "You didn't tell them Johannah? What a shame." He teases and I give my mom a look as she drops her head.

"You said you dropped that part of the deal." She whispers scared and my 'father' laughs cruelly. "You really thought that?? Well, let's just say that I changed my mind." He snarled again and I glared at him.

"WHAT IS IT?" I bellow and he smirks at me. "She promised to let me get rid of her if you haven't gotten rid of that problem of yours." He says and I freeze.

"Get rid of her?" I ask and he nods. "Permanently."

I was shaking in anger and it was taking all of my self-control not to beat the crap out of him right here.

"What problem?" I growl and he snorts. "The problem you've had since you were 11. Violence. Seems to me your still at it, so I'm here for my...reward." He says greedily and I glower at him.

Ariel's grip on me tightened and I looked at the two of them. Both of them had fear on their faces, but this time it wasn't because of me. It was because of him.

"No. You aren't going to touch her." I growl and he rolls his eyes. "It's either her or that girl of yours. You choose." He spits and I narrow my eyes.

"You bastard, you aren't getting either of them. If you want to try to take anyone out, you'll face me. In a real fight." I growl and my father laughs.

"You think that you can beat me in an actual fight?" He sneers and I huff. "I just beat your ass ten minutes ago, I could do it again." I snap and his gaze hardens.

"You really want to do this boy?" He asks darkly and I take a glance at the two frightened women staring at me with pleading eyes. Turning away from them, I give this lowlife dirtbag his answer.

"Yes, I really do."

Ohhh!!! Hahah how do you like it? Comments and Votes are really appreciated if you will :) haha hope you enjoy!! Till next time!

Xx-Haylee