Chapter 50

Guys, this is really sad to say, but this story is almost over. There's only a few chapters left, actually. But please don't stop reading this until the end :) I love all of you guys for even giving the time of day to read my book! xx

Ariel's POV:

It's been a week since the doctor has told me the news of my test results saying that I had a good possibility of not being paralyzed. I don't think I've been happier than when I heard him say those words.

Although, ever since then, Louis has been acting very oddly, but I just can't figure out why. Everytime I ask him about it, he just smiles at me and says it's nothing. The past five days Louis has acted like he's wanted to tell me something, but whenever he tries, Dr. Chase asks Louis to talk with him and both of them leave.

It confuses me so much, but Louis won't say a word about what they are talking about. It kinda makes me angry too. Why can't he tell me?

But right now, I was laying in my hospital room, just finishing the lunch that the nurse had given me. My mother and Louis were with me since they had just gotten back from their lunch as well. They stay with me most of the day, and I'm so grateful for that. Well, my mother does at least.

Louis skips a lot of school, but he still has to go every now and then to get all of his work, and mine too. He's arranged it so that we can do our work together so we don't get too far behind and that we can graduate this year.

"Ariel, I need to tell you something." Louis says seriously, looking at me with a frown and I tilt my head to the side, my eyebrow raising at him. "What is it?" I ask, curious to know if this was what he's been wanting to tell me the entire week basically.

Right before Louis says something, the doctor opens the door, a clipboard in his hand and a grim look on his face. "Ariel, you-" Louis tries and Dr. Chase coughs, making Louis stop. Instead of just complying and not saying anything, Louis stands up and glares at the doctor.

"If you're not going to let me tell her, then you do it yourself. I told you I'd wait two days, not an entire week." Louis says angrily and Dr. Chase lets out a sigh. "I know Louis, I know. It wasn't fair that I did that to you. I came in here to tell her, so I'll tell her now." he says and I look between the two of them confused.

"Tell me what?" I ask and both of them look at me, their expressions suddenly sad. "I'll let him tell you." Louis whispers and sits back down by my mother, looking at Dr. Chase to begin telling me.

"Ariel, I'm sorry to say this but...you aren't going to be walking anytime soon." Dr. Chase says and I feel my heart stop. "W-what?" I ask and he nods his head with a sigh. "I'm so sorry to tell you this. I didn't want to because you looked so happy earlier this week, and I wanted to prolong your happiness for as long as I could. But I had promised Louis that I would tell you, so I had to." he says regretfully and I feel tears gather in my eyes.

"You mean...you mean I'm paralyzed?" I ask and he nods his head at me grimly. "Yes, you are paralyzed. The spine you got wasn't a full one-hundred percent compatibility match with your body, and this is why you're paralyzed." he explains and I look down at my lap.

"I'm...I'm not going to be able to walk again?" I whisper...feeling the heaviness in my heart grow with every second that ticked by. "I'm so sorry about this Ariel. I wish that we could do more, but as of right now, there isn't anything we can do." Dr. Chase says apologetically and I shake my head.

"It's not your fault." I say before falling silent, looking down at my hands with sadness. Never being able to walk again...how will I go on in life? How does everything work out like this...how am I going to be able to do things?

"There is one good thing to know though." Dr. Chase says and I look up at him with sad eyes. "What?" I ask him and he gives me a weak smile.

"There is a possibility that you're body will grow used to the spine and in a few years, you'll be able to walk again." he says in a hopeful tone and I force a smile on my face. "Well, hopefully that can happen." I say and he nods his head, silence falling in the room.

"You'll be able to go home in a week, so by next Friday you'll be at home." Dr. Chase says in attempt to cheer me up and I just sigh, nodding my head.

"Can I speak to Ariel alone for a moment?" Louis asks and my mother nods, still not able to say anything about the shock of this news. Dr. Chase and her leave the room, leaving Louis and I alone.

"Are you okay?" he asks me, coming up to my bed and sitting down in a chair, taking my hand in his and rubbing circles on it. "No, no I'm not okay Louis. I don't know how I'm going to be able to do anything. I'll be what society looks down upon. I'll just be getting in everyone's way, including yours." I cry out, not able to contain my emotions.

"No, no Ariel you're wrong. You'll never get in my way, and you can prove society wrong." he tries to tell me but I just shake my head.

"Louis, I love you so much, and I'm grateful for you staying here this entire time, but I want you to move on, forget about me and find someone else." I say and he looks at me stunned. "W-what?" he stutters and I nod my head.

"I'll just be a burden to you and that's the last thing I want. I don't want you to be weighed down by your crippled girlfriend. That'd just be terrible." I say with tears going down my face, knowing that if he agreed to this, I'd lose the only man besides my father that I've ever loved.

"No." he says and I furrow my eyebrows. "What? Why?" I ask and he gives me a stern look.

"Leaving you behind now? Impossible. There's no way that I could ever do that to you Ariel. I love you too much to let you go. I would never be able to forget you and move on. You're the only girl for me, Ariel. And I mean it. I want to be with you...forever." Louis says and my eyes widen.

"Forever?" I ask and he nods his head with a small smile. "Yes, forever. You've done so much for me and I haven't loved someone like I love you. You're mine Ariel, and I want you to know that no matter what happens to either of us, the only one that could ever make me feel whole is you." he says and a smile comes to my face.

But that smile disappears whenever I think about the word 'forever'. "Louis, I could never give you everything. We'd never be able to have children if we were together forever, I'm crippled. I'd never be able to give you joys like that." I say sadly and he shrugs his shoulders.

"Who cares? We can adopt if we want. Love isn't sex, Ariel. It's so much more than that. I don't care about that kind of thing, it's something I could easily give up for you." he says, stroking my hair and I feel a smile come to my face again.

"You really mean it?" I ask and he nods his head. "Of course. I'd never say it if I didn't mean it." he tells me and I reach up, running a hand through his hair. "I don't deserve you." I whisper and he grabs my hand, bringing it to his lips and kissing it softly.

"No, it is me who doesn't deserve you." he says and I smile up at him. He returns my smile and squeezes my hand, looking at me warmly. "So, does this give you the confidence to live through this?" he asks me and I nod my head, a new reassurance in me.

"As long as I have you, Louis, I'll be able to make it through this." I say and he smiles. "That's my girl." he says and gives me a kiss. "You know graduation is in three months?" he says and I nod my head. "Will I be able to walk?" I ask and he smirks.

"Of course you will. I've already talked to the principal and everything." he tells me and I roll my eyes. "You're too much." I say and he chuckles. "Not at all." he says and I giggle.

"So, a week from now I get to come home." I say and Louis nods his head with a smile. "Yes. Are you ready for it?" he asks me and I think about it for a moment, debating everything that could happen or not happen, before a smile comes to my face and I nod my head to Louis.

"Yeah, I'm ready."

Hope you all like this chapter :) There's probably about four chapters left, so this story is really winding down. Sorry to say that it's almost over, but it is. I hope you all have enjoyed it so far! Please continue to Comment and Vote!!! xx