Chapter 42

Ariel's POV:

"Alright, just wait right here. Your results will be out momentarily." the nurse says kindly, giving me a bright smile before walking through the doors, leaving me alone in a separate room of the place where I got my X-ray taken.

I was still sitting in the wheelchair that they had put me in before, in a room that was pretty big and all the walls were painted white. My wheelchair was right beside one of the couches, making it look somewhat normal for me.

I have a feeling that they did that just so that I would feel comfortable and not out of place in my wheelchair. And I was extremely grateful to them for that.

I turned my head to the side, ignoring the slight pain I got in my back, and looked towards the door. If Louis or my mom were to just stumble in here accidentally...it would be chaotic and extremely stressful for me.

But that won't happen, since this room is in a different ward from where I was before. So this means that I won't have that problem at all.

The door opens back up, Doctor Chase coming out of it with a clipboard in his hand and a grim expression on his face. That can't be a good sign.

"Oh, Ariel. There you are. Your results are in, but I won't tell you them until we get you back to your room." he says to me and I nod my head understandingly. He probably doesn't want to wheel a crying patient throughout the entire hospital, so it's a good thing he didn't tell me.

He goes behind me and begins to push my wheelchair, wheeling me out the door and through the hospital, trying to get me back to my room.

My anxiety level is really high right now, I can feel it. I'm so nervous to be told my results, but on the other hand I don't even want to know. It's like I can tell by his expression that it isn't going to be good news. That's what I'm so scared about.

I hope we get to my room fast. I can't take this anymore, I just need to know my results. I'm driving myself insane by overthinking this.

I breathe out in relief when I see my room coming up, but my breath hitches and my heart stops when I see Louis and my mom waiting by my door.

"Don't worry, they won't be able to tell anything just because of this." Doctor Chase soothes me and I nod my head, my body shaking slightly as we approach the two people.

Louis gives me a look of shock while my mother covers her mouth with her hands. "Oh Ariel!! Are you okay?" she asks worriedly and Dr. Chase takes over for me.

"She's just fine. She just had to take some tests, and we didn't want her walking with her injuries. Surely you can understand that." he says and my mother lets out a breath of relief and smiles at me.

"Okay, I'm glad." she says and pain stabs my heart. It's a lie. It's all a lie and I know it. I'm not 'just fine', I'm actually quite the opposite of that. Louis catches my eye and I quickly look away, not wanting him to see the guilt in my eyes.

He narrows his eyes at me suspiciously, but I avoid eye contact with him for the time being. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get her back in her room. You'll be able to visit her in about thirty minutes." Dr. Chase continues and both of them nod slowly, stepping away from the room while Doctor Chase wheels me inside, closing the door behind him.

Wheeling me over to my bed, Dr. Chase carefully picks me up from the wheelchair and lays me back in my bed, letting me get situated before covering my legs with the blanket.

He hooked me back up to an IV and got my heart monitor going again, sighing to himself as he saw it was irregular. "Seeing them really stressed you out, didn't it?" he asks me and I just nod my head to him, not able to speak.

My mouth is dry and I can't seem to get a word out. I'm at the point of anxiety where I can't even function right now. I have no idea what the news is and I'm freaking out about it. And then I have my mom and Louis to worry about as well.

"Okay, do you want your news now?" he asks me and I numbly nod my head, waiting for him to just spit it out already.

"Well, you've kind of shocked us Ariel. We thought that you would only have the option of being paralyzed or not. But this test shows something else." he says and my heart is hammering in my chest.

"W-what does that m-mean?" I stutter, hardly getting the words out of my mouth. Dr. Chase sighs, giving me a sympathetic look before looking back down at his clipboard.

"It means that you have something else wrong with you that doesn't involve paralyzation." he says and my eyes widen at his words. Something ELSE? What could be worse than this?!

"Ariel, I'm sorry to tell you this..." he says, trailing off with a sigh and I can feel my throat closing up while tears already threaten to come out of my eyes.

"Just tell me." I croak, my body trembling as I feel a tear slip down my face in anticipation. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has made me feel this anxious and desperate to know an answer. I just want him to tell me so that I can know what's wrong with me and how this is going to effect the rest of my life.

Dr. Chase slowly looks up from his clipboard, a frown on his face as he finally tells me the diagnosis.

"Your spine isn't healing. In fact, it's doing the opposite." he says and I tilt my head to the side a little confused. This isn't good.

"What does that mean?" I ask and he gives me a sad smile.

"Your spine is actually breaking even more every day."

Hi guys! Sorry about this :( You'll see why this is happening later! Sorry it took so long to get up, I'm real stressed and busy :p Anyways, I hope you guys like this!! Please COMMENT and VOTE!! xx