Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Six

Meetings

It had been two days since Jennifer had insisted that I spoke to Stephen and ever since then, I had been avoiding her phone calls. I was not ready to meet him. I mean, he was a vampire and I did not even know everything his kind was capable of; for all I knew he could already know that I was pregnant. I could not be certain but I didn’t want to risk anything.

"You cannot ignore me forever Miss Zeleny!" Jennifer exclaimed, barging into my office, her face red with anger as she slapped a loose strand of hair out of her face.

"You can't just barge into my office like that. I'm working," I hissed, instantly standing up.

"It's your lunch break. You're not even working. Now you are going to see Stephen tonight, even if I have to drag you there myself," Jennifer commanded.

"I will not be going to see him tonight, or any other night Jenni. Do you understand?" I quizzed, taking my seat again as her hazel eyes narrowed down at me.

"You told me that you would!" Jennifer shouted, causing me to hush her aggressively.

"You have to keep your voice down!" I whispered, angered by her actions.

"Or what?" She challenged.

"Or nothing. Why do you care so much anyway? Why don’t you just stay the hell out of my love life Jennifer? What I do is what I will live with for the rest of my life, so give it a fucking rest will you!" I retorted, feeling my body burning with anger from irritation and embarrassment. Everyone in the office probably knew that I was having problems and my boss was definitely going to complain about this later.

"If that's what you want. Then fine." Jennifer growled, snatching her purse off the table before storming out of my office, leaving me to replay the conversation over and over again in my mind. I wasn’t sure whether I was right, however, right now, I wasn’t sure what was going on in my life, so my reaction was inevitable. Frowning down at myself, I threw away the remains of my sandwich, feeling slightly nauseous and sick.

"Do you want to take a walk with me on my break Melanie?" Jessica questioned after an hour, peeking into my office quite hesitantly.

"I can't, I've already had my br--," I began, not in the mood to speak to anyone.

"I've already asked Robin to cover for you and to be honest, you look like you need some fresh air," Jessica suggested.

"Alright, fine," I agreed, realising that being cooped up in one room was not good for the baby. Feeling scared and alone, I had not yet gone to the doctors and so I wasn’t even sure how far along I was, but luckily I was not yet showing, which told me something.

Leaving my office and locking the door behind me, I followed Jessica out of the building and instantly felt relieved and calmer when I felt the cool breeze whip across my face, immediately relaxed my muscles.

"See you look better already," Jessica smiled, earning a smile in return. She always had a laid back, tranquil aura around her, which naturally seemed to relax me as well, one of the things that I liked about her.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked as we turned to enter a park near by.

"I just wanted to see how you were. I mean, since Monday, you've seemed a little bit distant and I couldn’t help but worry about you. Is there something wrong with the wedding? Or is it just the idea of it being so close? Speaking about it will surely help you feel better," Jessica explained, squeezing my hand softly, in an attempt to reassure me.