Chapter Eighteen

My heart seemed to fail on me as I repeated what Stephen had just said. I could never do such a thing. What about Trevor? My family? The wedding? The baby? 

"I'll take care of the baby, as if it was my own Melanie, so that not an excuse. It'll just take me time to adapt to it and not think about that fucker whilst we're looking after it, I mean the baby. It'll just be me, you and the baby." Stephen explained, his dark eyes pleading. 

"You know that we can do it Melanie, I can see in your eyes that you're considering it." Stephen observed much to my annoyance. 

"What about Trevor? The wedding? My family?" I quizzed, feeling irritated that my heart, body, soul and mind was considering it. It was wrong and could never happen! 

"Who cares about him? Your family might even be happy that I even whisked you away from that jerk!" He hissed. 

"How dare you! I love Trevor with all my heart which is the reason that I agreed to get married to him if you haven't forgotten," I replied, waving my hand with the engagement ring, in his face, only for him to slap it fiercely away, causing me to cringe. 

"What even makes you believe, in that messed up head of yours, that I'd be stupid enough to run away with you?" I scoffed. 

"Because...." Stephen began, his permanently mint smelling breath caressing my face due to him suddenly placing his face directly in front of mine, almost to the point of us touching noses. 

"You love me, more than you've ever loved anyone, including Trevor. You may love him with all of your heart but you love with both your heart and soul, hence the word soul mate." Stephen assured.  

"Get a hold of yourself and stop being so arrogant and egotistic," I retorted after regaining my composure which took a couple of seconds. 

"Then tell me that you don't love me Melanie and look me in the eyes when you do it," he commanded. 

"Like you did to me? Oh, wait, I bet you’ve forgotten." I sadly replied, staring directly into his eyes as I pushed him backwards. I guessed that both the shock and memory that I had reminded him of caused him to stumble back further, as he fell on his bottom staring at me in surprise and guilt. 

"I didn't mean it like that Melanie and I thought that I had already apologised and told you why I had to do it. For your own protection!" Stephen defended as I stepped onto my feet fighting the tears which I knew would soon fall. Why had I invited him in the first place? I had been playing with fire and I was getting burnt; the ultimate ending to my life, would be when Trevor walked through that door.

"You had already been asked to leave and so I am -------" a girl informed us, entering the room just before I was attacked into a bone crushing hug.

"Lisa you're hurting her," Stephen groaned in annoyance as I began to feel slightly irritated that he knew who yet another girl was.

"Would you please like to let go of me since I don't know who you are?" I frowned, attempting and failing to get the stranger off of me.

"How can you not know it's me! Lisa!" Lisa exclaimed, bouncing backwards allowing me to take in her appearance.

I could never forget her face, even though when I had last seen her, she had not been this pleased to see me. She had exactly the same large black eyes, platinum blonde hair and model defined cheekbones, her pink lips contrasting against her pale skin. How I had never figured out that she and her bother, probably her whole family were vampires did not cease to amaze me.