Chapter Twenty Three

Everyone’s eyes snapped towards Jessica. I frowned at her and felt Trevor’s hand tremble only a tiny bit in mine. Sending him a confused face before turning back to Jessica who stared at me apologetically as her eyes continued to water, I began to feel frustrated.

“What is it?” I hissed, glaring at her for interrupting my wedding. Of course I had been having second thoughts a moment ago, however everyone did and so I had no intention to act on them.

“I---I --“ Jessica choked as tears poured out of her small, ashamed eyes.

“She’s obviously not okay Melanie. Someone take her out of her. Ahead with the ceremony please priest,” Trevor insisted, gently tugging on my hand so that I could face the priest again.

“No, she deliberately stopped my wedding at that part that the priest always says and so I want to know why she thinks we shouldn’t get married,” I protested, glaring into his ocean blue eyes.

“But she’s just wasting our time. I mean look at her, she can’t even speak. Just ask her after the wedding,” Trevor argued. What the hell was his problem?! Someone interrupted our wedding and he wants to find out why after the wedding. What if there was something we didn’t know and after promising ourselves in front of God, we couldn’t take it back?

Apologising quickly to everyone and lifting up my dress, I headed over to where everyone was hunched over a sobbing Jessica.

“Come on Jess, let’s talk so that you can calm down,” I cooed, softly taking her arm and leading her to where I had once been waiting, at the back of the church. She continued to cry, attempting to wipe away the tears that continued to flow like a waterfall down her thin cheeks. Closing the door behind us and ignoring the eruption of noise behind it, I ignored the memory of me and Stephen’s inappropriate kiss and focused on my bridesmaid.

“What’s wrong? I don’t want to rush you or anything, but I think that I have to, since, if you didn’t realise I’m getting married and your my bridesmaid. ” I joked with a small reassuring smile, trying to ease the air.

“Do you remember me saying that I was in love with someone else at the same time that I got married?” Jessica reminded me after a couple minutes silence, still sniffling as she made an effort to control herself.

“Yeah,” I replied, waiting for her to elaborate.

“I don’t want you to end up regretting it like I do,” Jessica frowned.

“What? You regret it? Jessica you didn’t tell me this before,” I scowled. She was only making my decision even harder, just when I believed that I had made the right one. Yet, we were different people and so maybe I would not regret it.

“Especially when the one your with is cheating on you,” she whispered almost inaudibly, before breaking down, covering her face which now ran with makeup.

“Aww, Jessica!” I sighed, pulling her into a hug.

“If he cheated on you, I am so sorry Jess. He obviously doesn’t deserve someone as wonderful as you.” I tried to assure her, stroking her back as I hugged her softly, at the same time making sure not to let her makeup get on my wedding dress.

“I’m not talking about me...” I almost missed her say which baffled me. She was talking about me? ‘Especially when the one you’re with is cheating on you’...

“He’s cheating on me?” I murmured, moving away from her and gently pulling her hands away from her face, so that I could see her eyes.