Chapter Thirty

“We’re just quickly going to get a drink,” Jasmine yelled as the music blasted around us. With a shaky nod, she was led away by Danny who gave a curt nod to Stephen before leaving us within the crowd.

“Are you okay?” Stephen asked wrapping an arm around my waist causing me to jump.

“Sorry,” he quickly apologised, taking his arm back.

“I’m sorry. I’m just not used to being touched again,” I mumbled, looking around to hide my embarrassment.

“Do you want a drink? Water? Sprite?” Stephen questioned trying to ease the tension as we stood awkwardly whilst everyone around us was full of energy.

“Yes, please,” I smiled after an awkward minute silence. It was never usually been awkward with us, yet there we were. He nodded before leading the way. I quickly held his arm as we weaved our way through the crowd to the kitchen. Glancing around, I noticed that Jasmine and Danny were speaking to a guy who spotted me looking.

“I didn’t come make you awkward Melanie. Maybe I should just leave.” Stephen stated, handing me a can of Sprite.

“No. Don’t go. I’m just not used to being out since...you know,” I replied, before even registering what I was saying as I absentmindedly clung to his arm. His black eyes stared into mine, taking me into a whole other world that I had certainly missed.

“Hey guys, this is Tom, my friend that’s having the party.” I heard Danny say behind me, causing Stephen’s eyes to snap away from mine as I sighed softly, dropping my hand as I spun around. Tom’s light brown eyes stood out against his milk chocolate skin as they stared into my eyes..

“Tom, this is Melanie and Stephen, Melanie and Stephen, this is Tom,” Danny introduced over the music.

“Nice to meet you,” I smiled friendly as his warm hand shook mine. He and Stephen also shook firm hands, with a silent nod as people patted Tom's back when walking past.

“Well enjoy the party and if you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask. Oh and have fun,” Tom beamed and then yelled as he walked through the crowd who cheered with him. When he left, I spoke to Jasmine for a while until Danny insisted that they went to dance, simply a reason to grind up against her.

“Do you want to go outside?” Stephen wondered, his eyes scanning the room as he spoke to me.

“Sure,” I agreed, holding on to him as we once again weaved our way through the crowd. The fresh air expanded my lungs as the sense of claustrophobia began to die down. There were only a few other people outside, who seemed to want to get some fresh air as well.

“How are you Melanie and tell me the truth,” Stephen insisted, leaning against the wall with his eyes stayed fixed on mine. The intensity of his stare, as I considered what I was about to say, began to make me nervous.

“I’m not sure Stephen. I feel...dirty, sick and worst of all a murderer. Sure I didn’t know that I was pregnant but I still killed the baby that was living inside of me. Trevor made me feel dirty but I don’t really care about him, of course he made me fragile and vulnerable around men, but I focus more on the baby that had been living inside of me Stephen,” I gushed, feeling only the tiniest bit better after telling someone how I felt.

“You’re not sick, dirty, or a murderer. You need to understand that miscarriages happen to loads of people and if you were a murderer would I still be alive? That bastard Trevor is the sick one and you are not dirty. Who knew that Trevor would try to do that to you? No one and luckily we got there before anything even happened. About being fragile and vulnerable around men, you’re the strongest person I know and after an experience like that, being vulnerable isn’t something out of the ordinary. Give yourself a bit of credit Melanie. Some people who go through things like this may not even be able to live with themselves, but you tried.” Stephen defended me as he kicked himself off the wall and closer to me.