Chapter Twenty Two

Stephen slowly moved away from me, letting his arms drop off my body painfully sluggishly as I rapidly wiped the tears away from my face whilst my mother simply watched us, a knowing smile on her small lips.

“I’m sorry Mrs. Pleany. I’m sorry Melanie.” Stephen apologised with his head down before leaving the room without a second glance.

“Stephan...” I whispered feeling completely torn.

“It’s okay Melanie,” She cooed, pulling me into a hug.

“I shouldn’t have kissed him mummy. I’m so confused. Why is he doing this to me?” I whimpered, pulling away from her embrace as it would make me cry even more.

“He’s not doing anything to you Melanie. You’re doing this to yourself,” My mother replied, smiling sadly and confusing me in the process.

“I’ve always loved him and I’m sure that you know that. Trevor...not so much,” She chuckled, her humour not exactly rubbing off on me.

“What are you trying to say?” I questioned, hoping that she would get straight to the point. I was sure that people were waiting of me to walk down the aisle right now.

“If you love Trevor, marry Trevor but if you love Stephen with everything inside of you, then leave Trevor and even think about the consequences and this wedding. Just don’t do something that you’ll know that you’ll regret in five minutes.” She stated, the seriousness emitting from her whole body, especially her light brown eyes.

“I’ll give you a minute and literally a minute Melanie because people are waiting for you right now,” She added before leaving me alone once again.

My mind immediately went straight to Stephen. Would I regret it? Probably, but if I married Trevor right now, the man who had not hurt me and wanted to spend his entire life with me...

Walking out of the room, I watched at Jennifer, Jasmine and my mother’s eyes snapped in my direction.

“C’mon girls. Don’t look so glum,” I tried to joke, seeing Jasmine smile brightly whilst the other women frowned. Ignoring them, I stood in view, feeling my heart beat decelerate as I took in slow, excruciating breaths beginning to walk down the aisle as the traditional ‘Here Come the Bride’ began to play. ‘Breathe. Breathe,’ I reminded myself quietly as I continued to walk, attempting to do ten million things at once. Looking at the rows of people on either side of me, I surprisingly spotted Debbie sitting comfortably on one of the many church benches. Her clear eyes snapped towards mine and I smiled happily at her until my eyes landed on the man sitting beside her. Stephen. How could I ever face him again? I couldn’t. Now I definitely knew that I had made the wrong decision. Except, Stephen was not even human, he was a vampire and when I died I would only leave him feeling sad for eternity, yet now, he could find someone else to love, preferably another vampire and then he could be happy; maybe even happier than he was with me, the thought making my stomach sink even more.

Looking away, I stared at my brother whose eyes did not meet mine but seemed to gaze into the rows behind me and reaching the front, feeling someone’s warm, not cool hand envelop mine, I finally snapped back into reality. Glancing up at Trevor, whose eyes sparkled and shone in joy, I felt even worse as I knew that I could never love him as much as I loved Stephen but he seemed to enjoy the love that I could give him, so maybe it would be okay. As the service commended, my mind continued to drift away from the ceremony as I tried my hardest to concentrate. My heart hammered against my chest, my stomach felt as though it wanted to explode and my head was banging agonizingly. What was happening to me?!

“Does anyone have any objections as to why these two should not be joined together in holy matrimony? Say now or forever hold you peace,” were the only words which seemed to break through the clouds in my head.

Should I say something? Should I not? My heart began to beat even faster attempting to break through my ribs, as I began to lightheaded due to the sharp and aggressive pounding in my head. I couldn’t do this and I needed to speak now.

“I’m sorry but I have something to say!”