Chapter Twenty Eight

"Officer Danny," I greeted quickly before diverting my attention back to my brother.

"Do you want me to get rid of him?" Jasmine brushed past and whispered in my ear. With a firm nod, I smiled kindly just as Jasmine ushered him into the kitchen for a cup of coffee which he obviously didn’t seem to want.

"What happened?" I quizzed, getting straight to the point.

"Is he hurt? Or did he kill someone? Or --," I began when he didn’t start to talk immediately.

"If you would let me speak then I'll tell you what happened. He was beaten pretty badly by a group of bloodsuckers who apparently mistook him for someone else that was killing women close by," Robert explained catching me off guard slightly. Even though I knew that I shouldn’t care since we weren’t together, my heart couldn’t help but skip a beat as I remembered how he had been when he hadn’t drank from me, but in this case he was beaten up. Pretty Badly.

"What does pretty badly mean?" I asked.

"Fine he was beaten the hell up okay. He needs your blood and I wouldn’t be risking your blood if I couldn’t tell how much you love him, too much to let him die Mel. Plus he's looking after me and he's a pretty decent guy," Robert shrugged.

"Pretty decent?" I repeated.

"Fine, he's a great guy, the only one that I think is good enough for my little sister. I'm sorry for last week okay. I just didn’t understand what happened and if you were in my position, you would have wondered what was going on too," he defended making me smile as his blue eyes brightened when a small smile bloomed on his lips. Hugging him tightly, missing our brother-sister hugs, I grabbed my coat ready to leave, only to remember Officer Danny.

"One second," I stated, running into the kitchen, to see him awkwardly talking to Jasmine who seemed to be rambling on about something. When I stepped into the small kitchen, his eyes landed on mine in relief and I smiled softly.

"I'm really sorry Officer Danny, it was a family emergency. Do you think that what you came by to say to me can wait?" I wondered, hoping that it could.

"Actually no. I need you to explain what exactly happened between you and Trevor Smythe- Hewitt," He informed me, dropping my mood even more than it had when I had heard about Stephen.

"If you give me your number I'll call you later on Off--, I mean Danny, but right now I have somewhere else to go. Please, this is very important," I pleaded not wishing to waste any more time.

"No, we need to do this now otherwise I'll get in really big trouble back at the office," Danny argued as he began to irritate me.

"Will you just give my sister some space please Officer," Robert growled, suddenly appearing beside me.

"I think we all just need to calm down and think about what we're saying," Jasmine attempted to interfere.

"I think you need to back down Sir," Danny retorted, rising from his chair.

"We're going. Deal with it." Robert scoffed viciously dragging me outside and towards Stephen's car which he must have borrowed.

"Robert wait!" Jasmine yelled after us.

"You better get back here otherwise I'll arrest you for preventing justice!" Danny shouted after us but it was too late as I was shoved into the car after Robert who then locked the door just as Danny tried to open it.

"You're gonna get arrested Robert," I breathed, not used to seeing him act so aggressively.

"Who fucking cares?" he cursed, flooring the car causing my head to whip back against the passenger seat as I stared at my brother in awe. The sound of the sirens rang around us as Robert refused to give into the officer.