Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Nine

Aftermath

A Miscarriage. I had had a miscarriage after I had been told that I was not pregnant and just when I had found out that I had been cheated on. I sat up on the hospital bed and stared into space unable to come to terms with the information that had just been thrown in my face. Literally.

“Are you okay Melanie? You haven’t said a thing since they’ve told you. Did you know that you were pregnant?” My mother pried whilst I attempted to ignore her as I felt her worried stare burn into the side of my face.

“I think we should give her some time to think mummy, instead of talking to her when she’s clearly not responding,” Robert suggested kindly. I was happy that he had shut my mother up, yet I couldn’t bring myself to look and smile in his direction.

“I don’t think you should tell me what is best for my daughter,” My mother retorted.

“And my sister,” Robert angrily reminded her. Sighing irritated, I turned towards my family, wondering where my sister was and began to speak, not wanting another fight to break out.

“Mummy, could you just give me a minute please.” I mumbled, feeling my remaining energy drain out of my fatigue body by saying that simple sentence. She frowned at me and I sighed once more, realising that there was no point in wasting my breath as she was not going anywhere. Staring back at the pale white hospital wall I wondered what I was going to do with my life now.

I had lost my husband, or fiancé, a friend that I happened to work with and I had also lost the true love of my life. Where was Stephen? Looking around the room suddenly, I realised that my mother and brother had left and Lisa now sat on the ashen orange sofa.

“I swear Melanie, I didn’t know. The results told me that you weren’t pregnant. I would never lie to you about something like that. Please, please forgive me. I am so sorry! I ----” Lisa apologised, a blood red tear running down her white cheeks.

“It’s fine. Results are wrong sometimes. No one knew,” I shrugged, resuming to my daydreaming.

“Melanie, you can’t just forgive me like that! I told you that you weren’t pregnant and then made you drink that Vodka on your hen night. This is my entire fault. Scream at me for God’s sake!” Lisa yelled, continuing to cry.

“I should scream at you? For what exactly? Do you think that by shouting at you that it’ll do something? Make me feel better, or yourself? I already said I forgive you, now if you’d like to ask the doctor or whoever the hell is in charge of my stay, when I can get out here cause it’s flipping depressing.” I growled trying not to curse. Wiping her tears away, Lisa kissed my cheek softly and thanked me for my forgiveness before doing as I had said. An hour later I was in a taxi, wearing a clean top and trousers with my wedding dress in a large bag in my hand, accompanied by both my family and Lisa squashed together.

“No one follow me please and mummy, I’ll call you later today. I just want to...be alone,” I instructed, closing the taxi door behind me and with a soft tap on the driver’s window, the car drove away. Walking up to my house door, I found the door open and frowned. I swore that I had locked it. Hesitantly moving into my apartment, my heart stopped when I saw Trevor sitting on my sofa with his head in his hands, his hair extremely chaotic. When I dropped my both expensive and destroyed wedding dress onto the floor in front of him, he finally looked up at me, his stunning blue eyes, now red due to crying, I guessed.