Family Values

Chrissie

Stepping from the black limo, I rubbed my sweating palms down my jeans before grasping Brent's hand, looking up at his broad smile, I couldn't help but frown at him.

"How can you smile" I hissed. "They are probably looking out the window and measuring you for your coffin"

"Oh come on Chrissie, they can't be that bad"

"You've never met them, trust me, they are"

Clasping Brent's hand as tight as I could, I led him up the path to our impending doom. As we approached the door it swung open and there in all her glory stood my mother, arms folded across her chest legs slightly apart glaring down at us, as we reached the bottom step.

"Finally made it then, haven't come to visit in months, until I beg you to visit your family" she growled.

Begged to visit, who's she trying to kid, I was summoned, or even commanded to attend home.

"Sorry mum been busy"

"Yeah I bet with lover boy there" pointing at Brent.

"Does that make him more important than your family"

"No mum, it's not like that at all"

"Yeah, yeah whatever, now come give your mother a kiss, all your sisters are waiting inside to see you"

Oh great, can this get any worse.

"That's cool" releasing Brent's hand I shot up the steps and grabbing her shoulders, stooped down and gave her a peck on the cheek.

"Well young man are you coming in or not" hissed my mother all her attention on a smiling Brent.

"Sure thing Mrs Wallace, I'm so pleased to meet you" striding up the steps hand out.

"Yeah, whatever"  mother muttered and turned back into the house without shaking Brent's hand.

I turned to him and tilting my head to one side to convey a look of I'm sorry and I told you so all in one, Brent just shrugged and grabbing me around the waist as we entered the lions den together.

My family were all gathered in the lounge and I was surprised to see sandwiches, tea and biscuits enough to feed twenty people on the coffee table, my family didn't usually do this when I visited, plus this time, I had bought home a man, I expected disemboweling equipment.

After a quick hug of my sisters and a mumbled hi nice to see you I went back to Brent's side and clutched his hand to steady my nerves, how Brent could still look so calm and smile was beyond me.

"Um, mother, Barbara, Shelly, Jenny this is Brent, um Brent Simons my er, boyfriend?" The last part came out more of a question than a statement of fact, they all looked in his direction and gave a stiff nod.

Well at least they didn't attack him with pitchforks.

Them an uncomfortable silence fell on the room until my mother called me over, reluctantly I left Brent's side and shuffled over to stand in front of her.

My mother looked me directly in the eye's and in her no nonsense tone stated.

"Now Chrissie the next question that is asked you must answer yes with all sincerity and stick to it understand" I gulped and nodded.

"Good because otherwise me and your sisters will give you hell"

I looked at my sister's with their arms folded all with grim expressions on their faces and nodding.