Oh What A Night (Pt I)

Chrissie

But first the dreaded shopping, though I don't see why I can't wear jeans, I mean surely I would still be better dressed than the other guests.

"We're here" announced the driver as we pulled up in front of a large store in the centre of town.

Peering out the window I saw row upon row of elegant ladies wear shops, just a minute the names on these shops were similar to the names the glam twins in London were babbling on about.

Turning to face Brent.

"Why do I need something so fancy if I'm mixing with homeless people, do you dress them up to"

Brent stared at me as though I sprouted horns, then just as unexpectedly he burst out laughing, not a fake or forced laugh, a deep whole hearted laugh and tears started to leak from his eyes as he almost doubled over.

Me. I just stared at him not understanding what was so funny.

"Chrissie" at last he managed to splutter out "You are priceless, absolutely bloody priceless"

Huffing I folded my arms over my chest and put on my best pout.

"I don't see why, I only asked a simple question"

"Well there won't be any homeless people at the gala, it's for the wealthier residents to donate money and bid in the auction, silly"

"I knew that" I muttered. "Just teasing you, that's all"

And I went back to my sulk.

"Come on let's get you dressed up" still laughing at my expense.

Turning to get out, I found the door held open by the driver, I didn't know how long he had been standing there waiting or whether he had overheard our conversation, but I blushed all the same.

I muttered an apology to the driver as I gripped Brent's hand to pull myself up and out of the limo, receiving a polite smile in return.

Not letting go of my hand Brent practically dragged me into the store and I thought the shop in London was over the top posh, but this place was in a league of its own.

Standing in the centre of the store surrounded by dressed mannequins, that were probably worth more than me, I couldn't really tell as there wasn't a price tag in sight.

I gulped down the huge lump that had formed in my throat, if I was intimated by the glam twins before, now I had five of them baring down on me.

Then I got the surprise of my life as they reached us.

"So Brent this is the famous Miss Wallace" then turning to face me with a genuine smile.

"Miss Wallace it an honour to meet you at last" pulling me into a hug and as she released me the rest followed suit.

It seems they had all sometime or other had to deal with arrogant men, who thought it was their god given right to be able to abuse women as and when they feel fit, just because they have fame and money.

So I was like a hero or heroine to them.

This shopping trip turned out to be a great experience as we laughed and joked while they dressed and pampered me and when I was ready to leave I felt a little sad, I had made genuine friends and now I had to leave them.

But Brent cheered me up when he said if I needed anymore clothes we would come here.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Entering the lavish ballroom that evening I couldn't take it all in quick enough, it was really over the top, only the rich would go this far.

Holding on to Brent's arm for dear life he led me to the bar and got me a dry white wine to settle my nerves.