Welcome Home

Chrissie

At last I threw open the door to my musty smelling flat, to be greeted by one almighty pissed off cat, I didn't need to worry that he hadn't been fed as he was a stray and got food elsewhere, plus I had left the window open slightly so he could get in.

But he had missed cat and Chrissie time, I picked him up and hugged him to my chest whilst crying a few more tears.

"Oh cat I've missed you so much, we'll have a marathon cuddle session tonight okay"

By now he'd had enough of being squeezed to death and wriggled to be set free, where upon I returned him to the floor and as if all was right with the world again, he waltzed into the kitchen and demanded food.

I was home!

Looking around I decided the best thing I could do was clean, it's what I always did to cheer myself up, so finding my iPod wanna be and earphones, I set to, cleaning my flat from top to bottom, the more I cleaned the louder my singing got and the more ludicrous my dance moves became.

After a couple of hours, my flat was the cleanest it had been for months and I was exhausted, cat had decided that as things were as they should be, plus he had eaten me out of house and home, he would leave via the window, so I had the rest of the evening to myself, I sat down on my battered sofa and before long was away with the fairies.

I awoke with a slight start that took my disoriented brain a few minutes to work out what had disturbed my peaceful slumber, then a furry creature wrapped itself around my legs and let out a loud meow.

Stifling a yawn, I stretched my arms above my head trying to work the kinks out of my neck, this transatlantic flying sure played hell with your sleep patterns, still that was my one and only trip to the States that's for sure.

That single memory opened the door for more thoughts of Brent, how could I have been so silly, damn he was definitely a good actor that's for sure, he really had me fooled, perhaps that's why it's so easy for him to get females in his bed, sheer male charm.

And I for one fell for it, hook, line and sinker, how could I call these women who threw themselves at pop stars or movie stars names when I did the exact same thing.

These thoughts still didn't make me feel any better, another meow bought me back to the present, someone wanted food and when my stomach let out a low growl, I knew he wasn't the only one.

Padding to the kitchen in my over sized bunny slippers, I dumped a small sachet of cat food in cat's dish, quickly chopping it up and passed it down to him.

For me I scanned the cupboards for anything that resembled a nourishing meal that was in date, baked beans on toast it was then, the bread was a bit stale, well actually a lot stale, but hey I was toasting it so it didn't matter to me.

Popping the bread in the toaster and the beans in a saucepan I made a shopping list in between stirring the beans to stop them sticking to the pan, sometime tomorrow I would venture to the supermarket, the greatest pleasure a girl could have, fighting your way down the supermarket aisle hunting for something, only to find they have moved it to the other side of the store or they have run out, oh joy of joy's.

Now I was back to domestic bliss, I rinsed the pan, plate and utensils and thought sod it they can wait till tomorrow to be washed up, a dishwasher being something to dream about owning.

A nice warm shower, my old faithful pink frilly dressing gown, care bear PJ's a good book and a glass of lemon and lime and I was settled, curling up on the sofa, tucking my legs underneath me and the dim light of my little table lamp, I was in heaven.

After trying unsuccessfully to read for a few hours I gave up, as I kept nodding off and waking with a start when the book slid of my lap and clattered on to the floor, after the third or fourth time this happened was when I decided to quit and go to bed, at least if I fell asleep reading, the book would fall on my duvet and not wake me up.

I managed about half an hour before I drifted off to sleep again, I could feel my eyes getting heavy so I marked my place in the book and placed it on the table next to the bed snuggled down, drawing the duvet up around my neck and dreamed of a certain sexy movie star who broke my heart.

Morning came all to quickly, I'm sure I was only asleep for a few minutes, but when I looked at the clock I could see it was eight o'clock already, that woke me up that's for sure, hell if I was trying to make sure I still had a job, then being late was not an option.

Bailing out of my nice warm, cosy bed, I headed into the bathroom to make myself at least appear semi human on the outside, even if I didn't feel it on the inside.

Breakfast consisted of tea with powdered milk, yuk! And cereals with out any milk at all double yuk! A quick inspection in the mirror, grabbing my tooth brush, I  brushed away and finally a quick swipe will my lipstick afterwards and that will have to do, as the time was fast  approaching a quarter to nine.

Throwing open my front door, I charged down the stairs, hoping I still had a job, as I had forgotten to ring Mrs Young the previous evening to say I was back and plead for my job, so I was going for the face to face approach.

Skidding and slipping down the noisy wooden stairs, thank God for handrails, I rushed to the house front door and pulled it wide open, but not as wide open as my eyes went, when I registered who was standing on the door step.

Shit!