Chapter 29: Spencer

Seth's POV

It was almost the end of the school year, and things were good. Juliet and I were good. We went on a weekly date and we hung out almost everyday. I went to every dinner with Juliet and Blaise's family. And it made me feel like one of them. The only concern I had was Brad. I liked the guy, but something was up. I was threatened by him, but... Something just wasn't right about their friendship. And it wasn't to do with her. She had no feelings for him. I knew that much. But I still felt like I was losing her to him. And that didn't make me feel so good. I got more protective i thought, at least that's what Ben keeps telling me. I could hardly disagree. And then there was this whole drama with Josh. She still wouldn't tell me anything about what had happened between him and Florence, or why Juliet was so angry at him.

They were just a few more mysteries to add to my already sucky life. But I was lucky to have Juliet in my life. She made time for me in between looking after Logan, looking after her siblings, trying to reason with Florence, and keeping away from Josh. So sometimes I would help and try to talk to her brother. Or look after Logan for a while. But it felt weird to me, that she was so capable of looking after a baby, when she was only 17! It was like she was born to be a mother. And hopefully one day, we'd have some. Not that I was thinking too far ahead. I just felt like we were meant to be together. Or maybe I was just crazy. 

One day I was just walking through town, trying to clear my head about seeing Juliet and Brad hanging out together when I saw Spencer. He was hanging out at a park, by a tree. There was no one around and it looked all innocent, except just as I was about to walk over to him I saw it. It was a small bag with white-ish powder. And I instantly thought the worst. Drugs. It couldn't be. He wouldn't do that. It just didn't seem like the thing that he would do. No way. But there he was, in front of me, and he took it like it was no big deal. I stood there, gaping. 

I couldn't believe my eyes and so I walked over to him, trying to be subtle and casual. "Hey Spencer!" I greeted, trying not to sound fake. He quickly shoved the bag into his pocket and shifted his eyes to me. Sometimes I got the feeling that he didn't like me. But he seemed to be that way around everyone I noticed. "Seth." He grunted. Was he in a bad place because his mother was gone? Because Juliet didn't pay enough attention to him? I really wanted to ask him straight out, but knew I couldn't do that. That would just scare him away. Or become angry and I didn't need that right now.

"I saw what that was. But it can't be true. Tell me that was the first time you've done it, and that someone pressured you into taking it." I almost begged him. If i knew this, I couldn't keep this from Juliet! That would just eat me up alive. He laughed loudly, "And what the hell do you think it is, then?" He was being a smartass, he knew exactly what I meant. "Drugs." I simply said. I didn't know why Spencer, only aged 14, would take drugs. It seemed impossible. His eyes went wide, and he knew he'd been caught. "Oh, shit. No, Seth, you had better not tell Juliet about this, or I swear I'll kill you!" He said frantically.

I sighed deeply, shaking my head. "I have to tell her, unless you promise to stop taking drugs! It's so bad for you. It'll ruin your life." I said. I'd seen it happen to a bunch of people at school, and they just got worse and worse, all because they were addicted to them. Couldn't live without it. "You can't say what I can and can't do. This is my life and you certainly aren't my dad." He spat. I didn't know if this was how he normally reacted, but I was used to it. Marcy had been the same at times. "So, what? I'm your friend. I'm not trying to turn you into the cops, or anything like that. I mean this on good terms." I told him.

He frowned at me. "You know. I'm starting to think that you're just trying to be good for Juliet, that you'd do anything to get into her good books." He said, seriously. I had no idea what he meant, but I knew it wasn't true. "And that Brad is trying to take her from you. Not on purpose. But I can see it happening as much as you can see it happening. Juliet is falling for Brad." I frowned, shaking my head. "No, she's not. She can't be. Brad is just her friend. They're best friends. Just like her and Blaise. Brad is in love with her, but she isn't with him." I said. Spencer laughed loudly, smirking at me. "Oh, Seth. Stop trying to convince yourself about these lies." He said.