Chapter 24: Something new for New Years

Juliet's POV

The last few days have been so great, i didn't know what to feel. Spending time with Seth, as my boyfriend, has been a different experience. I've never had a boyfriend before, but i knew for a fact that everything felt special and natural whenever i was with him. Everyone was so glad to see us two together, and every time it was mentioned i would have a blush on my face, even if Seth was there.

Today was New Years Eve, and i couldn't believe how much had changed over the course of 1 year. For example, there was Seth who was a brilliant addition to my life. There was my mum, who passed away and we were still slightly grieving, all in our own way. Knowing i only had 1 year and a half left of high school was sort of a scary thought. It meant the real world was almost here. Although i've already experienced some of it. A New Year was always good for me, it meant i could go back over the year and see all the good things that have come out of it. 

"I have an idea!" Ben said. I just looked at him and so did Seth. Ben sighed, but smiled. "We should go set off some fireworks in the park." My eyes widened immediately. "WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY!" I shouted at him. Ben just laughed at me and Seth just looked shocked. "Um, are you sure that's even a good idea." Seth said. Ben just looked at Seth and smiled. "Well you said you wanted to do something risky!" He countered. "That's true....." Seth began. I suddenly stood up. "NO! We can't possibly get away with it, it's illegal." 

Ben pretended to think hard, but it was obvious he already had an answer for me. I looked around nervously, this can't be happening, why would he suggest such a thing. "I guess, but we won't get caught. Live a little, you can put it in your memory bank. PLEASE!!" He begun to beg on his knees in front of me, with his adorable puppy dog eyes. "Why, it's too dangerous." I softly said. I hated to take risks, and i hated to get into trouble. 

"Well... i'm sure Seth can convince you to join us." Ben winked at Seth. "Who ever said i was going to join." Seth said, almost amusingly. "The little voice in your head." Ben replied. Seth just nodded. "True.. You know you want to Juliet, it'll be such great fun!"  I couldn't believe Seth was asking me ti di something that COULD get us in trouble. "But what's the fun in doing something that could get us into huge trouble." I asked worriedly.

"Well, we're going to be extra safe about it. Stay in the trees, have a VERY LONG rope, so that we can set it off at a distance. And wear black." Ben said, studying me. I couldn't believe he was even suggesting something like this. I scowled at him and stared at him. "Please Juliet." Seth said, snaking his arm around my waist. It felt good, but this time it was encouraging me towards their idea. "But why us!" I complained. Sure it was dangerous and i knew they weren't trying to peer pressure me, but all i could think about was books. All the characters had interesting lives, this was ONE way to do that. Slowly my mind replayed the possible scenarios, maybe this wasn't soooo bad..... "Hmph, alright i'll try, but i swear if we get in trouble i will kill you both." I said, the two boys looked shocked but my words finally got to them. They slapped high fives and whooped. I couldn't help but laugh. How could you not, but deep down i was nervous and i knew it was going to keep growing.

"You devious little child." I said, pointing at Ben. "I ain't no little child, devious i could live with." He smiled at me. I shook y head but turned to look at Seth. Our eyes connected and Seth leaned in, his chin resting on my shoulder. I felt his breath on my neck and ear. "Are you sure you want to do this?" He whispered ever so softly. I nodded, but no words come out, there just wasn't anything to say. "Ok, i'm third-wheeling now. Unless you want me to join, i suggest you break it off... now?" Ben said and i chuckled, but reluctantly let of of Seth, and he let go of me. But before we could completely break off, he grabbed both of my hands and kissed my cheek. I immediately felt like blushing but my cheeks din't grow hot at all. "So genius, what's the plan for tonight" I asked Ben, since it was his idea. "Well, my dad has extra fireworks that are safe and he doesn't need. I can get the rope to help set of the fireworks." He began and i zoned out. Wondering what everyone else would think of this idea. "What about our camouflage?" I heard Seth ask. "Well it has to be black." Ben said, looking towards the sky, thinking. "But if we're escaping we can't get noticed so easily either." I pointed out and Ben's eyebrows scrunched together, thinking even harder. "Well... um, why don't we just... have a look at what i have?" Ben said, looking almost confused. I shook my head, amused. It showed how much thought he had really done about his plan.