fifteen

"We've done love wrong too many times. I think it's time, we do love right."

Present Day

Stringing up the last string of lights on the tree in the corner of the room, Shauna and Zeke burst through the front door. Shauna walking straight to Zeke's room with an emotional look on her face, as Zeke walks to Tobias.

"What's going on?" Tobias asks, confused not only to the looks both of them had on their face's but because they should be on their way to the wedding, or there by now.

Zeke shakes his head, falling back into the couch. "You didn't hear?"

Tobias sets down a blue ornament down on the table, turns down the radio that was playing Christmas music and walks back over to his friend.

"Hear what?" Shaking his head.

Zeke's lips curve into a small smirk as he chuckles lowly, not because the circumstances are funny but because Tobias of all people has no idea what is going on. 

Looking at Zeke and his reaction he's able to piece it together.

 "Oh my god, " As he begins to say it, he can't help the small smile growing on his face. "she called off the wedding."

Zeke looks at his friend, his face becoming suddenly serious. "Did you... I don't know, do anything?"

Tobias feels like he should be offended by the accusation, but can't blame him for asking.

Shaking his head, he runs and hand through his hair, "Nope."

The uncontainable smile spreads on his face, "Nothing at all."

/    /     /     /

Two Years Ago

"Don't look." Tobias whispers into Tris's ear as his hands cover her eyes. Leading her where she needs to go.

She laughs, "What is this Tobias? Where are we??"

"Patience," Stepping up onto the porch. "you'll see soon."

Sliding open the door, as Tris keeps her eyes shut Tobias leads her in. The aroma of cinnamon and pine swirling around them as they feel the new found warmth of the indoors.

"Okay," Tobias says moving to stand in front of her. "you can open your eyes."

Looking around, Tris is amazed. Truly amazed at where she stands, as if someone took her dream and made it a reality.

"What is this?" She whispers, feeling her emotions grow inside her.

Tobias smiles a warm smile, "Your dream house."

She laughs through her grin, wrapping her arms tightly around her boyfriend's neck. Kissing his cheek before pulling back.

"Did you really build this?" Looking at the wooden structure with a rustic feel. Glass windows she always envisioned and a vase to her right with her favorite flowers.

"Yep," Tobias sighs, still holding his girl. "took a lot of my time, but I got it done."

That's when Tris realizes all those months when she only saw Tobias a couple times a week was because he was working on this.

"And look," He says walking over to the kitchen area.

Opening the cupboards, "no drinks."

Tris smiles at the improvement Tobias made, his first and hopefully only time in rehab was months ago and he hasn't touched a drop since.