fifty nine

"Lay beside me, it's time to rest,"

Present Day

"Did I tell you?" Tris asks Tobias the following night, as the medicine makes her drowsy and what she needs is sleep.

"Did you tell me what darling?" Tobias asks, watching his wife's eyelids grow heavy and she tries everything to stay awake.

"That I saw my grandmother yesterday." She smiles softly, her eyes closed but still awake. "Real as day, sitting right where you sit now."

Tobias wasn't expecting her to say this. He should feel normal, he should feel as though it was a comforting moment for her but something doesn't sit right with him. Is it just a hallucination from all of the pain medication and the trauma her body went through in the crash, or is it something more? And more importantly, something to worry about. The thought eats at Tobias's brain, but he tries his best to keep a calm look on his face. So he sits there, watching his wife tell him about seeing her grandmother who she loves and misses so much, with a soft smile on his face.

Tris looks as though she's breathing out her dream to him, and he tries to make the sudden fear and sudden worry disappear, but the more she speaks the more he grows concerned.

"Tobias?" She asks, as her story comes to an end.

"Yes sweetheart?"

"Will you sing me to sleep?" She asks and he knows she doesn't need anything else to make her tired. But he can't say no to her.

"You should know there will be days, When you pray for sun, but get the rain,When the tears fall down your pretty face,My love will blow the storm away,"

"In the middle of a sleepless night, When your dreams are putting up a fight, When the words I say don't come out right, I'm still gonna be right by your side,"

"Life is full of ups and downs, And I can't change the world around, The only thing that I can do, Is always keep on loving you,"

| | | |

Three Years Ago

Standing on that bridge that was there in the beginning of everything, there they were when they were ready to give this thing a chance once more

There was fear. There was hesitation. There was questions that ached for answers. But the single thing that overshadowed all the doubt and all of the worry, was the love.

The love that hadn't gone away after all that time. The love that stood strong through every twist and turn. The love that was there at the very beginning, when they fell in love with each other for the very first time. The love that was there now, as they decided they wanted to try again. And the love that would be there years in the future, for this love was permanent. This love wasn't fading anytime soon, and it wasn't going anywhere.

The love Tobias held for Tris, and the love Tris held for Tobias was there to stay. Before, right then, and after.

| | | |

Present Day

When Tris falls asleep, which doesn't take very long, Tobias slips out of her room. Walking the small distance down the hallway, Tobias finds her doctor. Just the person he was looking for.

"Tobias," Her doctor greets kindly. "What can I do for you?"

"I need to ask you something, and I need you to give me an honest answer."

"Of course."

Tobias takes a deep breath, "Is Tris recovering alright?"

Her doctor looks at him for a moment, unsure of where this question is coming from. Tobias had seen her scans, heard the news, and was with his wife every hour. The doctor assumed he would notice if something was off.

"Why do you ask Tobias?"

"She saw her grandmother earlier. But she's been dead for years. And I've read these stories, of people seeing loved ones who have passed on when they're getting close to death themselves."

"Tobias," The doctor stops him, he can tell Tobias is beginning to panic. "You need to calm down. A hallucination like that is nothing to be concerned about. She's on some high doses of medication and she's exhausted. Her scans look good Tobias, she is on the right track. I told you earlier I think she can head home in a day or two."

Tobias breathes a sigh of relief. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. You're a concerned husband, that's nothing to be sorry for. Your wife is doing fine."

It's the words Tobias needed to hear, and he breathes better knowing them.

He had worried for no reason, he had made himself paranoid for no reason. Tris was getting better, she was healing just fine. Tris was going to be coming home in a day or two, and for that Tobias couldn't be more grateful.

A/N: Really short chapter, I know! But I needed to add a filler chapter for you all, I do like the writing I did in the flashback part of this chapter.