forty four

"You are in every single song I write, And every melody I play,"

Present Day

Tris sits at her make up table in the corner of their bedroom, her journal open to a fresh page and a pen in hand. She'd been writing in this small brown leather covered book ever since her wedding. Something that was her own, and something that made a small but significant impact on her life.

Tobias is in the music room on the opposite side of the house, working on his music. His time. And Tris is in the bedroom, writing in her journal for the day. Her time. And with the night falling over the house built with love and commitment, soon bedtime will come and it will be their time.

December 17th, 2017

I look at Tobias when he goes up onto those stages with the bright lights and the people waiting in the crowd, or into the warm space in the back of the house where he writes all his music. And I can't help but wonder, what's next?

What's the next step in our life together? Where is our path headed, and when I start to think too deeply about it I stop myself. Because the best things about life are the surprises, the curves that it throws at you. The shocks and the blessings, the joy and the happiness.

I look at Tobias and I see possibilities. I see all the things he will become, and all the things he already is.

Today, I look at my husband... and I've fallen in love with him all over again as I see what's next for us.

\       \      \       \

Three Years Ago

Sitting across from her mother, knees brought up to her chest as her hair is pulled into a messy bun on top of her head, Beatrice relaxes in the comfort of her childhood home with her mother. Both in pajamas, just reminiscing and talking as mothers and daughter do.

"I know that smile." Natalie points out, after hours of laughing together and crying over old memories.

"What smile?" Tris asks, not even knowing that a smile is even spread across her lips.

"That smile that is invisible on the lips but shimmers in the eyes," Natalie says, and reaches her hand out to her daughter. Tris interlocks her fingers and rests her head against the couch they sit together on. "the I'm in love smile."

Tris's eyes widen, and she laughs. Tobias was constantly on her mind, whether she knew it or not. He was always in her thoughts.

"I've never felt like this before mom," Tris whispers, fear and excitement bubbling inside of her. "when I look into his eyes, I can't breathe. And when I'm not with him, I feel like there's a part of me is missing."

Natalie smiles at her daughter, the happiness Tris feels almost infectious.

"Something about him, makes me feel like I'm about to fall. Or turn into liquid.Or burst into flames."

"Do you think he's the one?" Her mother asks, and Tris stares off with the smile that started in her eyes now showing on her lips.

"I think he might be."

|       |       |       |

Present Day

"You nervous?" Tris asks, looking over at Tobias. They're on their way to Tris's parents house for dinner. Tobias's left hand is on the steering wheel, but his right hand is entwined with Tris's.

Tobias shrugs, turning down the street her parent's house sits on.

"Just anxious."

Tris nods, as he parks in the driveway. She can already see the lights on inside, and the colorful glow of their Christmas tree in the living room. Something that makes her feel like she's back to her childhood, with that same tree.

Holding tightly to Tobias's hands, she rings the bell. They don't wait long as her mother opens the door. Engulfing them both in big hugs.

The house smells deeply of cinnamon and the dinner being cooked in the kitchen. The warmth of the home washes over them, and Tris feels at home again.

Tris and Tobias walk into the kitchen with Natalie, where Tris's father and brother are getting the meal together.

"How are you both?" Her mother asks and Tris begins to talk about Tobias's music. Gushing about his talent and the way this is the career for him.

"That's great Tobias, it's nice to hear that you've pursued music." Natalie smiles, remembering when she met him the way he spoke of wanting to learn to play.

"We uh," Tobias scratches the back of his neck nervously. "have something we wanted to share with you all tonight."

Looking down at Tris, she smiles back up at him and then to her family.

Taking a deep breath, and feeling Tobias wrap his arm around her waist she exhales.

"I'm pregnant," She exclaims. "we're having a baby."

Excitement and happiness explodes in the room, with tears and hugs. Tris hugged tightly by her parents and her brother, then Tobias who is hugged tightly as well.

Tris never told her mother about her pregnancy and the abortion in the past, but had voiced wanting to start a family with Tobias.

"I'm so happy for the both of you." Natalie cries, and Tobias looks lovingly down at his wife.

"Congratulations to you both." Andrew says to them, feeling emotional but not showing it like his wife.

Caleb had slowly gotten on better terms with Tobias, and his genuine reaction of happiness for both of them meant something to Tris and Tobias.

Later that night, as they were gathered in the living room just talking and enjoying the family environment. Tobias leans down and whispers into Tris's ear.

"I love you."

Tris gazes up, Tobias's beautiful blue eyes shimmering more as the lights on the tree brings out the glow. "I love you too Tobias."

A/N: Not my best writing in the second half of the chapter, but exciting turn in the story! FourTris baby on the way!! :) Hope the chapter wasn't as bad as I'm thinking it is!