seventeen

"Sitting here tonight, by the fire light. It reminds me, I already have more than I should."

Six Nights Ago

Walking into the house, carrying his guitar in the case and under his other arm was his folder of music sheets. Closing the door and placing all his things down he sees Zeke with the TV on, yet he's looking at Tobias.

"What?" Tobias asks, a little bit out of breath from carrying everything while trying to get in through the door.

Zeke smirks, "Surprise for ya, in your room."

Tobias raises an eyebrow in both confusion and curiosity.

"Did you finally return my shirt that I let you borrow three months ago??" Tobias jokes walking towards the hallway.

"Haha, and no I didn't." Zeke says. "But I have a feeling you'll like this more than getting your very comfortable shirt back."

Laughing Tobias walks towards his room, opening the door.

What he sees in his room is much better than the five dollar shirt, just like Zeke had said.

"Finally," Tris breathes out smiling at him. "thought I'd have to wait here alone forever."

Shaking his head, he can't shake that large smile growing on his face. Tris sits there on his bed, dressed in the pajamas he bought her one Christmas eve, the ones he loved.

"What are you doing here?" Tobias asks her, sitting on the edge of the bed by her.

She shrugs, "Wanted to see you."

Tobias nods, still grinning like an idiot.

"I'm glad you're here."

She looks up through her lashes at him, remembering why she fell in love with him the first time all over again.

"Can't believe you still have those." Tobias comments, as he picks out a shirt and pants to sleep in.

"Are you kidding? I love these!" Tris exclaims hugging herself, as if to pull the red fabric closer to her skin.

Walking back to the bed after getting changed, which Tobias had no problem doing while being in the same room as her.

"Are you scared?"

She asks him in a hushed tone, as he wraps an arm around her. Tris cuddles into his side, just like they used to. The feeling hadn't changed one bit.

Swallowing a nervous lump, "Scared of what?"

Tris looks up at him, resting her right hand on his left shoulder. "This."

He truly had reasons to be afraid of it, he realized that today at his meeting.

"No." He tells her, every part of his answer being truthful. Parts feared him, but what he was more scared of was losing this.

"Are you?" Tobias asks her, breathing in the scent of her shampoo.

"Yes."

Tris had her reasons to be afraid of this, with the past still a distant memory of what was and possibly an image of what was to happen again. She couldn't help but be nervous from this.

"It's gonna be different." Tobias whispers to her, as if he was reading her mind.

Drifting off to sleep that night came easier to both of them than it had in a long time, maybe it was because they had been completely honest with each other... or maybe it was just the feel of the embrace from one another.

/     /      /     /

Present Day

Closing the refrigerator door, Tris jumps as she didn't see Tobias stand right there. Almost dropping the container of juice in the process.

"Jesus, Tobias!" She laughs, trying to slow her heart rate down.

"Sorry," He smiles. "didn't mean to scare you."

Shaking her head she pours a glass for her and him. She was still dressed in her pajamas, her hair pulled into a ponytail that draped over her shoulder.

"Mornin love birds!" Zeke says walking in, making Tris blush a light shade of pink.

Tobias glares a little at Zeke as he grabs a bowl from the cabinet.

"You know," Zeke begins, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl in front of him. "this is like the third night you've stayed over Tris so..."

"What do you want Zeke?" Tobias asks, wanting to know where this was going.

"I'm just saying you all could move back into the house you built, and this could uh, be for me and Shauna."

Tris laughs, "Is she pressuring you into getting a place for the two of you??"

"Like you wouldn't believe." He sighs.

They all laugh, until Tris speaks up again.

"He doesn't make an awful point, " Beginning she turns back to the fridge to put away the juice. "the house is still there, and I mean I'd like to get out of my house for certain reasons."

Tobias raises an eyebrow at her,  "Really now?? When did this idea pop in your head?"

She smiles coyly at him, just shrugging as an answer.

It'd only been almost a week since Tris called off the wedding and came to Tobias to tell him she still loved him. But the way things had been the past few days, it had been like they were able to pick off where they left off.

In the good parts, as if neither one of them had left. If neither one had screwed it up.

"Gotta say," Tobias stands up straighter. "not hating the idea."

Kissing her temple, his lips leaving behind a warmth. Zeke motions for Tobias to come into the living room to speak with him.

"What's up?"

Zeke looks at him, "If this is gonna work, with you guys getting back into that house.." Tobias knows exactly where this is going.

"You gotta tell her."

Nodding, Tobias watches Zeke leave the house, "Babe, I'm making pancakes do you want any??"

He hears Tris call from the kitchen breaking him from his thoughts, pinching the bridge of his nose Tobias answer.

"Yeah, uh sure."

He realized how normal, how simple this all felt. What it felt like to have her back, and he knew he had to tell her if he wanted to keep her a little longer.

A/N: What do you guys think Tobias is hiding?? Even though it's a somewhat short chapter again, hopefully ya'll liked it okay. Remember I love seeing your comments so feel free! :)