thirty six

"Life is full of ups and downs, and I can't change the world around,"

Present Day

Watching him throw on his black jacket over his t-shirt, Tris sits up in bed watching Tobias getting ready.

"Where are you going again?" Tris asks, running a hand through her tangled long locks.

Grabbing his phone and wallet, Tobias stuffs them into his jacket pockets. "Just got some thing to do babe."

Tobias shakes it off like it's just another day, having no idea what it's doing to Tris.

Tris looks down at her hands knotted together in her lap, lies... lies... lies. Why can't you just tell me the truth Tobias? She thinks to herself.

Walking over to the side of the bed Tris sits on, Tobias bends down and kisses her forehead. Feeling the warmth of her skin on his slightly cold lips.

"I know I'm going out early again, but tonight I want to take you somewhere for our anniversary."

"Why can't you just spend the whole day with me?" Tris asks, looking up at him.

"I know what you're doing," Tobias says, knowing she's giving him those puppy eyes he can't stand to say no to. "I'll make it up to you tonight baby, I love you."

Kissing her forehead once more, he's out the door. Leaving Tris in bed alone, with her imagine running wild, on their three year anniversary.

|     |     |     |

Two and A Half Years Ago

"You've been here before?" Tris asks, her hand held tightly and lovingly in Tobias's.

"Yeah, I like coming here when I need to just stop thinking about everything."

It's a small café, warm and inviting. And on Thursday nights they have musicians live, playing sets of their own music.

"Have you ever thought about doing it?" Tris asks as she sits down in the seat Tobias pulled out for her.

"What? That?" He asks pointing to the stage where the band is setting up, while sitting beside her.

Tris nods, as Tobias's arm stretches out around her shoulders.

"No." He shakes his head.

"You've mentioned a few times that you want to learn guitar though right?"

Tobias laughs dryly, "Yeah, but I actually have to know how to play and have something to play before going up there babe."

Tris rolls her eyes, resting her head against him. "I think that'll be you one day. Up there playing and singing, doing what you love."

Tobias wasn't sure if he believed her, but he did know he loved the feeling of having someone who believed him.

|     |      |      |

Present Day

Walking hand in hand, closely together, down the path leading them to their spot on the bridge. The night had fallen, the lights of the city lighting in the background, and the stars brightening the dark sky. It's quiet, as they are the only people out this late as they make their way to the railing they have stood by so many times before.

"This is where you wanted to bring me?" Tris asks softly, leaning her back against Tobias's chest as his arms circle around her.

"It's our place, wanted to bring you somewhere we've stood in the bad and in the good."

Tris smiles, she loves the moments when Tobias says things like that. Romantic truths.

They stand there, in each others arms. Listening to the soft wind blowing around them, and for Tris she listens to the sound of Tobias's heartbeat.

Releasing Tris from his hold, Tobias moves to stand beside her. Almost touching as they look over the railing at the water below, that in the night looks black as ink.

"Sometimes I just wish I could do everything all over again." Tobias says, and they turn to each other.

Tris's slightly curled hair blowing in the breeze, and Tobias's eyes shinning blue as small lights reflect off them.

"What would you change?" Tris asks, and she remembers the months back when they had this same conversation

"What would you change?" Tris asks, and she remembers the months back when they had this same conversation. Except she was the one saying she wished she could change everything.

"Everything," Tobias says, but then looking at Tris's beautiful face he shakes his head.

"Nothing."

Tris smiles a small smile, and Tobias; a smile mirroring hers

"No matter what we've been through, what we've had to do and feel to get here three years later... I wouldn't change any of it. Because it still got me here," Tobias explains to her, his voice soft and filled with love.

"It still got me here with you Tris."

"You've been gone a lot lately." Tris speaks up, she doesn't want to bring this up... but it's weighing down her mind. She just wants to know that he's alright.

Tobias sighs, looking down at his feet and then back up at her.

"I know," Tobias nods.

"If there's something going on Tobias, please tell me. I want to help you, I want  to be there for you, I--"

"I've been trying to figure out how to thank you for all you've done for me, and all the times you've been there for me. And I can't think of a way that will measure up to all you've done."

"Tobias--" Tris breathes out. Everything that was building inside her begins to crumble and soften as he admits this to her.

"And then I was trying to figure out how to tell you I love you in a way I haven't already, and," Laughing Tobias shakes his head. "I couldn't find one, I've told you I love you. I've shown you in all the ways I know how."

Tris feels the tears burning in the corners of her eyes, she just hopes she can keep holding them back.

"But then I realized something I've said to you once before, but I never got the chance to truly show you. I told you I had changed, that I'm a better man now, and it's true."

Tris nods, because she knows in her heart that it's true.

"I told you Tris that I knew how to love you now," Tobias whispers stepping closer to her. "and I do. I have no doubt in my mind that I can give you what you need, the love you deserve, and all the world to have."

And in the moment, as Tobias drops down on one knee and opens up a tiny velvet box, Tris's world comes to a skidded halt.

"Beatrice Prior, will you marry me?"