twenty three

"Two arms around me, heaven to ground me, And a family that always calls me home"

Present Day

He lays there, hands tucked under his head as he stares up at the bluest blue sky he'd ever seen. Birds chirping their songs, as the trees sway in the nice spring breeze.

The world seeming calm, seeming better than he remembered it to be.

The clouds above him the most perfect clouds there could be, big and fluffy as they float across the sea of the sky.

As he lays there the once blue sky, turns grey and black

As he lays there the once blue sky, turns grey and black. And the clouds that once added decorations to that vast blue blanket swirl and twist in to grey.

Zooming away from the earth he finds himself soon laying in a dirt coated grave, shovels emptying dirt onto him. Covering him whole.

As the sound of birds soon disappears, it is replaced with a long high pitched beeeeeeep.

Jerking awake, Tobias breathes heavily. Looking around to realize he isn't in some shallow grave but instead there in his bed. In his room, in his home. With Tris, right there by his side.

"Tobias?" She asks, sitting up slowly.

"What's the matter?? Did you have a bad dream?" Tris asks concerned, her hand resting on his shoulder.

As he finally takes back control of his breathing, he shakes his head. "Go back to sleep, I'm okay."

She doesn't believe him, and why should she.

Today is the planned surgery day. Evelyn had the testing, and she can in fact help him. She can do this for him, she can save him.

"Are you okay?" Tris asks him straight up this time, and Tobias turns to look at her.

Even in the darkness he can see the love and concern in her eyes.

"Yeah," He breathes out. "I'm okay."

Laying back down, Tris's arms wrap around him as she rests her head on his chest.

"I'm okay." He whispers again, running his hand gently through her hair.

He doesn't know if he said that for her, or for himself.

|      |      |      |  

A Year Ago

"When do you want it?" Tris repeats the question that Tobias just asked her. They sit together in the hammock in the backyard, holding each other as the early September sun beats down on them.

Tobias leans back to think, "I think a spring wedding would be nice. But darling, you know if you wanted to go down to the courthouse or marry out in a snow bank I'd be fine with it. As long as it ended with you and I getting hitched."