#14.2 One of You Has Cancer (Cake)

Luke:

He looked so sickly laying in his hospital bed. His muscles didn't look as big as they used to, and his broad shoulders drooped. His skin was pale, and his face was flushed. His eyes, once so lively and blue, were dull and grey. Machines were hooked up to him from all sides as the doctors wheeled him in for surgery, leaving you alone with his band mates and Liz to wait in a dead silence for the surgery to end.

-----

"Luke, are you okay?" You whispered as he blinked his dead eyes.

"No," his gravelly voice responded. "I feel so bad."

"I don't blame you," you said softly. "I would, too."

"They aren't sure the surgery was a success," he sadly admitted.

"I know," you choked, "The doctor told me."

"Whatever you do, if you ever get this, don't wait as long as I did. I didn't want to disappoint the fans, but I didn't think about dying being worse," he slowly made his words out.

"Hey, don't talk like that," you said, gradually getting more distraught as time went on. "You can get through this," you edged him on, "I believe in you."

He chuckled weakly and airily, "at least someone does."

"You'll pull through, Luke. I love you," you sighed.

"I love you, too, (y/n) (y/l/n). You're my everything."

At this, his heart rate machine beeped loudly, and his eyes went out like a light bulb as the last breath left his lips. His lifeless body laid there, his dead eyes staring in your direction. You were the last thing he saw before life left him behind in the dust.

°°°°°

Calum:

You woke up in a white room, and you had no idea what was going on. You began to panic, but a familiar, long fingered hand pressed you down to the white mattress. "Babe, it's okay. You're in the hospital, and they're saying your surgery went really well," Calum said calmly.

...At least that's what they said two years ago.

Your cancer came back 10× worse, and Calum was as scared as you were. You asked so many different doctors what the best way would be, and you spent hours online researching ways to help with getting better. You and Calum were both distraught, seeing as surgery and chemotherapy were the best ways to go.

Finally, the stressful day came as you felt at your worst. It was time for treatment, and you couldn't wait any longer.

-----

A few weeks after the surgery, you felt a little better than you had before. The doctors said you were all clear, but they stressed everything you needed to avoid. Calum swore he'd help you avoid those things as best he could, and you giggled at his protectiveness.

You were going strong for many months after that, but then you began to feel funny. You immediately alerted your doctor, but you didn't tell Calum. You were scared he would overreact, and you didn't want him to worry. Your doctor ran tests, and he gave you prescriptions, but you weren't getting any better. In fact, it felt like you were getting worse until one day you collapsed at home as you and Calum were getting ready to go out and play in the fresh snow.

"(Y/n!) (Y/N)!!" Calum yelled, shaking you awake. "I knew you were acting funny! Babe, why didn't you tell me?! It's back isn't it?" He asked woefully.

"I lit up like a house decorated for Christmas," you replied sadly.

"Oh my gosh," he cried. He rested his forehead on your chest, and you instantly felt the tears soak through your long sleeve shirt. "Just hold on," he looked at you with his red eyes, "the ambulance is on its way."

"I won't make it," you sighed, and you knew Calum knew it was true.

Calum flinched at those words, and he slowly kissed your chilling lips.

Your vision was blurring, and you heard Calum cry "Merry Christmas to me."