21

Leaving the following morning made me feel sick to my stomach. I already know in my heart what I want, I just have to decide of he's what I need.

  As the car travels, the landscape changes. So does the sky. The sunrise has just begun, and it's purples and yellows catch my eyes. It astonishing. The uneasy feeling doesn't leave though, it only seems to multiply.

I look at the man driving the car. His eyes are focused on the road, but occasionally I catch him glancing at me.

"You look so sad." He says, his voice isn't a deep as I had pictured it. I'm taken off guard by it, and I jump. Throughout the hours we have been in the car this is the first time he says anything.

I suck in a deep breath. "Yeah, just a little." It was my offer that I had brought up to Calvin. I just didn't think it'd actually come into affect, or that I would be this upset about it.

"You only just got here, why are you leaving the university so soon?" He asks, knotting his eyebrows. I inhale. I assume Calvin had told him that I was a student at the school. Figures.

"I-" I sigh. "I guess I came at the wrong time. There's some, family issues going on at home that I need to put my full attention on." I shrug. It is somewhat true, I guess. I really want to see my mom, Ren, and my baby brother, of course.

"Yeah, sorry to bug you." He says quietly, "a school like that is a lot of stress on its own. I can't imagine what you're going through." He mumbles.

I press my forehead against the window and let out a tired breath. "You have no idea." I reply. My mind drifts back to the reason why I'm heading home.

The longer I dwell on the idea of he and I never seeing each other again makes me want to puke. I've been away from him for less than twenty four hours, and already I miss him. It pains me. Part of me actually wanted to get away for awhile. When he had told me that he loved me, all my desire to leave left my mind.

I think that maybe that's a sign from him that he wants to be committed to me. Calvin isn't a wild person, and I know he wouldn't mess around, but I just want to be introduced as his. It pains me to know that he wont, all because he's afraid.

"Do you want to stop and get something to eat?" The driver asks. He takes me out of my thoughts for only seconds.

"No, I'll just wait until I get home." I already know that I'm not going to eat while I feel this sick. The driver doesn't have to know that though.

The rest of the ride is quiet, and spent in my own thoughts. Just give it a chancd, Gray. I remind myself. It won't be too long, I hope.

As soon as I arrive at my parent's house, I'm greeted by a waving Ren. He has a bright smile on his face, and he looks genuinely happy to see me.

I grin. Ren isn't my real dad, but it doesn't mean I don't see him as one. I quickly jump out of the car and hug him like it's been years. He laughs, squeezes me back and says, "how was your trip?"

"Oh, you know. Long. Boring." Depressing. I grin. Ren chuckles to himself and shakes his head. I look around, searching for my mom and my baby brother.

"I'll get your bags, Gray, you just run along inside. I know you must be tired, and it's freezing out here." He says. I open my mouth to tell him that I can get my bags, but he gives me a look and I sigh in defeat.

"Okay, thank you." I mumble. I hug my arms around my body and head towards the porch. I start to push open the door but I pause. Something has me frozen in my spot. It feels as though someone is watching me. Us.

Slowly, my eyes wander around the border of the house, just where the horizon starts. There's something there.

I stiffen. A dark figure hangs in the shadows of the woods. I can't tell where it's looking, but I have a feeling that it's at me.

"Did you pack your whole closet?" Ren chuckles, following me inside. I smile and playfully hit his shoulder.

"No, old man." I grin. "Just bits and pieces of it." Ren glances at me and rolls his eyes.

"I'm not that old." He laughs. I feel like he's about to make a comment about Calvin, but he doesnt. I'm thankful for it.

"Your mom is at the store buying groceries for dinner tonight." Ran says, answering my unsaid question. "She's really excited that you're visiting. She's been talking about it nonstop since Harris called last night and told us." I grin. I've been wanting to see them too.

It's so short but I promise I'll post more sometime today!! I've had a lot going on. My mom passed away in December and it's taken its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about you all (or this book!) I just haven't found any motivation to write!!