47

"Have you spoken to Ben?" I ask softly, afraid that speaking his name may cause Calvin to freak out. Calvin's eyes run over my face and his jaw clenches and unclenches.

"I have. Why do you ask?" His tongue darts out and cleans his lower lip. I watch the tenseness of his shoulders as he takes in a deep breath and lets it out ever so slowly. He is agitated, but not to the point where he won't discuss the topic.

"Well, he isn't dead so I figured you either haven't spoken to him and you're waiting for him to make a wrong move or he is innocent." I chew on my bottom lip and reach my hand across the table to hold his. Softly, his thumb runs over my knuckles and he lets out a sigh of relief.

"Is this your way of asking if you can talk to him, little wolf?" My nickname rolls off his tongue like silk, and I inhale slowly. The thickness of his voice is telling me that he doesn't want me to go.

"Is this your way of telling me you want me to stay?" I raise an eyebrow and give him a playful grin. Calvin raises a brow at me and smiles back.

"I do get lonely." He admits. I roll my eyes at him and feel the squeeze of his hand on mine.

"One hour. That's it. You can get some work done and I won't be far away-" I pout. "Ben is like my only friend here, I just want to talk."

Calvin lets out a sigh in defeat. "Fine," he shrugs his shoulders. "I need to get caught up on work." He agrees, stabbing a piece of his food on his fork and putting it into his mouth.

"I'm glad you're being so easy going." I mumble, reaching over my plate and stealing a bite of his food.

"Easy woman, we aren't married yet." He chuckles, referring to the fact I stole food from his plate. I give him a innocent smile and pop the food into my mouth.

"Yet." I repeat, the smile on his face grows wider and the thoughts he has fill my mind. I momentarily shut my eyes and let it sink in.

"Well," he says softly, running his thumb over my knuckles. "Until then, I'll still treat you as if you are, because eventually it will be a thing." He pops a piece of his food into his mouth and lets out a soft breath.

"I love you." I giggle, tugging my hand back to my side of the table and take a bite of my own food. Calvin had insisted on taking me out for dinner, because he didn't want to cook. The food is to die for, but I enjoy the quality time talking more than anything.

"And I love you, Gray." He replies, looking into my eyes. The deep brown color studies me. Takes me in. I feel frozen under his gaze. "So much."

For awhile, we eat in silence, enjoying each others company. The sound of people and families chatting around us fills my ears, and the soft sounds of silver wear hitting the plates is in the air.

Calvin breaks the silence as I take the last bite of my food. "How mad would you be if I told you that your ceremony is in a week?" I wipe my mouth with my napkin and knot my eyebrows.

"Ceremony?" I ask, unsure what he means by that. He blinks like I'm joking. When I don't respond- he lets out a exaggerated sigh.

"The ceremony as in becoming Luna? Queen? Does that ring a bell?" He gives me a gentle smile but the way he's talking makes me think he's talking like I'm stupid. I blow out a soft breath.

"I- uh..." I trail off and look out the window. Am I ready? I mean- I was the day I gave myself to Calvin, but I don't think that the ceremony is what I need. However, I have to do this as his mate.

"Yeah, Calvin. That's fine." I shrug my shoulders. "It'd be nice to know what's going on in advance." I grin, "but I'm ready Cal. I'm sure you won't let me mess up."

He gives me a smile. "No, I wouldn't let you embarrass yourself baby." He chuckles. "I also invited your family to stay at the house until then..."

I shoot my eyes up to meet his and my jaw nearly falls to the floor. "What?" I can't tell if I'm excited or pissed off. I mean, I love my family and love being around them but they're staying for a week?

Calvin and Ren hardly get along. My mom has a tiny baby that will be crying most of the time, and to top it all off- that means Cal and I can't just do it any time we want to.

"I thought you'd be happy?" He knots his eyebrows in confusion.

"I am happy. You're the one that's going to be unhappy when they get here." I shrug. Calvin purses his lips.

"Why do you say that, love?" He presses his elbow on the table and sets his chin in his hand. His eyes concentrate on me, thinking of every possible thing that I can say.

"You don't like babies." I point out. Cal raises an eyebrow.

"Correction- I do like babies, Just not other people's." He shrugs.

"You make no sense." I laugh and roll my eyes. Calvin chuckles.

"If you were going to tell me that I'm going to be unhappy when your parents get into town because we won't be sleeping with each other, you're very wrong." He says. I start to frown at his admission. "I'll keep them occupied, and you'll just have to be quiet." He winks.

"I mean, unless you want them to hear- then by all means please scream my name. I don't mind." I pull my bottom lip between my teeth and look Calvin's features over.

"When are they coming?"

"They'll be here around four. They're taking a flight. I'll go pick them up from the airport and be back before you wake up." He grins.

"You're really bad about giving me heads up, ya know?"

"Speaking of head, do you want some?" He winks. I gulp and turn my attention to the window. "Hmm?" He hums. Quietly I kick his shin under the table and shake my head.

"Maybe when we get home."