Chapter 30: Guilt

Songs for this chapter are:

Please Don't Say You Love Me- Gabrielle Aplin

The City - The 1975

POV: SOPHIE

I awake with a start. My head hurts, and my stomach churns with guilt. I regretted telling Louis we need a break the second I said it, but it really is for the best. I just don't want to have hurt him.

I decide I need as much time away from him today as possible, but I don't know where to go. I glance at my phone and see its 7am. I groan at the shortness of my slumber, before noticing a text. It's from Papaya's mum.

From: Anne

Message: Papaya wants to see you, she's upset she missed your dance competition and wants to meet the boyfriend you mentioned. Let me know when you can see her x

One one hand this is a good thing, I get away from Louis for the day. But on the other hand I have to explain to a two year old how she couldn't come see me dance because I got hit by a car, and she can't meet my boyfriend because we're on-a-break-but-not-really-broken-up-but-not-in-a-relationship-kind-of-place right now.

I weigh out the pros and cons before texting Anne to tell her I'll be at her house in a couple of hours.

I really hope she's not busy.

She texts back when I get out of the shower, saying she needs to go to see her sister today, but I can take Papaya out for the day if I'd like. I tell her that's fine and move onto doing my hair.

When I'm done getting ready I have half an hour before I have to leave.

I'm debating. with myself whether I should text Louis when the door opens. I look up and my mind is made up for me.

He stands there, in all his glory. I am so surprised he's here I almost don't notice his puffy red eyes and shaking hands.

"Hi." he mumbles, attempting a small smile, but failing. My heart breaks because I know I probably did this to him.

POV: LOUIS

"Hi." I mutter. I know I look like shit but it's the least of my worries.

"Are you okay?" Sophie asks with a concerned frown. I hate that she cares so much, I don't want to hurt her and that would be so much easier if she hated me.

I take a seat beside her on her stupidly small tour bus bed. She rests a hand on my shoulder but I flinch away. Her face immediately falls. It's killing me. Telling her what I did last night is physically eating me up, inside out. I turn to face her fully and take a breath.

"I-" I start but fail to continue.

"What's wrong Lou? I know I said we need space but please, don't feel like you can't talk to me." She whispers the last part.

"What does that mean, having space?"

"Louis.. we went over this."

"I need to know.... because I did something stupid last night."

"Oh God, what did you do?"

The look on her face is killing me, she looks worried and disappointed, and so worn out.

"I- I slept with someone."

"You- you what?"

She's mad, oh god, she's mad.

"It was a mistake I swear, I was so drunk and confused and upset and-"

"You slept with another woman!" She shouts.

"You said we weren't together anymore, that we were having space, we were on a break. I just- I know it was stupid but-"

"But nothing. That was a horrible, disgusting thing to do. I- I can't believe you. I'm leaving." She gets up and walks away. I grab her arm and she turns to look at me, an expression of disgust, before yanking her arm away and leaving.

I really screwed this up.

Shit.