Ch 8. Fishy Rick Smith

"You guys are making a big deal out of things. I personally feel like I'm still young enough to get married again." Melinda said while we all stared at her and tried to individually decide on how to process the information and handle the situation as best as possible.

        This was nothing to be taken lightly, not at all. Which was why one of my eyebrow shifted up when I looked between James and Felix who where staring at each as if communicating telepathically, right before they both burst out laughing. I frowned.

         What the hell did they think was funny here? Their mother, who not even four months ago was happily single and never mentioned having a boyfriend, just announced that she was getting married to a man we had never heard of before, ever. So I was really freaking curious to know the punch line in this situation because for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out.

         I shook my head and decided that I would be the one to speak if neither one of her sons would, because she and I had gotten really close since James and I had gotten back together and she was now like a mother figure to me.

         "Melinda, listen_" I had started saying when I felt James' hand on my shoulder. I looked over at him and he smiled slightly, this letting me know that he would take over whatever I was going to say. He then turned to meet his mother's gaze and stared at her and then at the bald man sitting next to her with his hand covering hers on the table. James shook his head.

         " You are not getting married, especially not to this stranger." James basically told her. Melinda frowned and looked over at me as if she wanted me to say something. Too bad I was on my fiancé's side on this one.

         So when she realized that I certainly wasn't going to say anything in her favor, she turned her attention back to James. "Of course I'm getting married, and as I told you, Rick isn't a stranger. He's Rick, my Rick, and I love him." She said which made Felix laugh before pulling a chair out to sit down at the table next to me.

        "Mom, How long have you known this man?" Felix asked and before Melinda could answer her son's question, the man beat her to it and answered.

        "About three months, and my name is still Rick, in case you both were wondering." Rick said calmly. Felix on the other hand, was glaring at the man as if trying to intimidate him. Rick didn't seem the least bit intimidated and I had to wonder if Melinda hadn't already told him to expect her sons to act this way towards him.

        "So, why you did wait this long to let us know that you had met someone?" James asked, also in a calm manner, but unlike Rick's demeanor, I knew there was something brewing underneath his calm collected facade.

        "Because I knew how you two would react." Melinda answered curtly then got up. "By the way, thank you for not disappointing." She added.

         "Exactly what did you expect us to do? Jump from happiness?" That was Felix talking. He's always been very protective of his mother and that was understandable enough. And because of what she's been through in life, one wrong move and she'd find herself back to those dark days. And even though he wasn't there when she was going through it all, he knew first hand how shitty it was, thanks to his biological mother.

         "Certainly wouldn't have killed you two to show some respect and be happy for me. I just told you I'm getting married and that's the responses I get? Did you think I want to be alone for the rest of my life?" She angrily replied.

         A part of me knew that maybe now was the time to intervene and put a stop at all this arguing before it went any further and damaged things beyond repair. I knew this all, yet, the messy part of me wanted to sit there silently and watch all this juicy family drama and see where it would go. Maybe I was going to hell for this, but couldn't help but find this funny until I heard Sebastian start crying through the baby monitor. James sighed.