Ch. 21: When It Rains, It Pours.

(James' POV)

        "Babe, What do you mean you're going to Alabama? Did you forget we have a dinner to attend tomorrow night for Frederick's birthday?"

          I turned my head to find Charlotte standing by the door, her hands resting on her hips. She hadn't gone to work because she was having horrible morning sickness that started just about a week ago and seemed to be more than a morning thing. And while I looked at her, I noticed how sunken her eyes were and how pale her coloring was. I went over to her, forgetting for a second the shit that I was certain would be waiting for me in Alabama and focused on her. My love, my life, the mother of my unborn child.

          I cupped her face in my hands and smiled softly as her green eyes met mine. Even while sick she was still beautiful and it seemed as though she had gotten even more beautiful now that she was pregnant. I loved that about her, knowing that she was pregnant, carrying my seeds, a combining of her and I.

          "How are you?"

         She shrugged but didn't break the eye contact, her hands now coming to rest on mine. "I feel like shit, but I'll survive." She answered and right then, there was a shadow that crossed her face as she looked away. "It was the same way the first time around." Ah, so that's why she wouldn't meet my eyes.

           With a finger, I turned her head towards me and the second her gaze met mine, I lowered my head and kissed her. Nothing hard, just a soft kiss on her soft lips to chase away the shadowy sadness, to make her understand that though we wouldn't ever forget what led to that decision so many years ago, we were trying our best everyday to learn from those mistakes, keep them in the past and not repeat them.

         "I love knowing that I got you pregnant." That, made her chuckle, the warmth of her smile making my heart tighten. God, how much I loved her.

         "I love being pregnant by you. Though I could do without the all day sickness and not even miss it." She replied, raised her self on her toes and kissed me before letting go of me and heading into out closet.

          "I'll pack you a few things." She said as she grabbed a small travel bag which landed on the bed when she threw it from the closet. "Tell me again why you're making this impromptu voyage?"

           This brought back the conversation I had with Jemma to mind. I didn't know what was happening with my mother but if I were to find out Jemma had done something to her, anything at all, she would regret ever coming back into our lives, though knowing Jemma and what she had said, I wouldn't put anything past her. This was all the more troublesome as I was still unable to reach my mother.

          "Is Ghost traveling with you?" Charlotte asked, poking her head out, holding a white shirt in hand which she had been folding. I reached into my pockets and took out my cellphone to give it another try, hoping that this time around I would reach her.

          "Yes, he's on his way now." I replied as the call went to voicemail. I could feel the beginning of headache as k tried to rack my brain as to what could possibly have happened.

        Did my mother relapse? Though she hadn't, to my detailed knowledge,  gone back to her drugs habits, I couldn't say for sure that a relapse of any kind was impossible. I had been more relaxed about the drug tests for the past months because I trusted her to stay clean. We had made sure she understood that her being into our lives was only dependent on her ability to stay sober and drugs free and it had worked for more that four years, so for her to relapse just like that would be very confusing, to say the least.