Ch. 12: Custody War

Sometimes, you just get a feeling that your day is going to be great. Maybe because you were generally great at guessing those sort of things, or simply because lately, the heavens have been kind enough to let you have a breather from everything that was simply negative energy in your life.

        The whole week of us being back in NYC after spending some time in Alabama, had legitimately been one of the bests in a while, something that it was much deserved. Bastian was feeling so much better, and there had been no mention of Jemma either from me, James, or Royce who had been filled in on what had happened.

          So things were great, which was why I was certain that this Thursday was going to be another great day added to the few we've had lately.

         Like every other week day, I woke up, got ready, woke Sebastian up, got him ready and then made breakfast. But today was a little special because Bastian was starting preschool and this all got me emotional for the past week or so.

         Bastian was officially now a big boy, well at least that's what he kept chanting all throughout the week since he'd gotten back from Royce, who must have told him only big boys went to school. I just wished I could make time slow down so that I could cherish those young years with him when he's still cute and still wanted kisses and hugs, and when he wasn't scared to sneak into the bed with us.

          So I made a good and healthy breakfast, placed it on the table and yelled out James' name so that we could sit and eat together because those were my most favorite memories. Of us, as a family sitting at the dinner table.

         "You know, Bastian, it's not too late to back out of this whole school thing, mommy will totally understand if you don't want to go. We could wait maybe next year when you're five. Wouldn't you like that?" I asked the boy sitting across the table from me, half joking. I would seriously not hesitate to pull him out of the school and give his spot to another kid.

         I heard James clear his throat in the sit next to Bastian, as the kid started laughing, shaking his head as he thought I was the funniest thing ever. But the thing was, I was completely serious.

       "Mommy is serious, Bastian. We could call Ms. Beene and ask her to come hang out with you for a bit while mommy and daddy go to work. Would that be nice?" Okay, so maybe I was pushing on desperate because I swear I was just about ready to call his nanny, who he's had for the past two years and who has a degree in childhood development, to see if she could jump in and take care of him.

        "Nooo, mommy." His giggles were a bit louder now. Why the kid thought this was hysterical was completely beyond me.

        "All I'm saying_"

          James just had to come and interrupt me. "Uhm, babe, maybe we shouldn't push the kid not go to the school we are paying fifty thousand dollars a year for?" He said, which made me look at him. I shrugged and turned my focus back to the kid. We wouldn't be paying that much money if he weren't going.

         "I was simply making my case and giving him options and to tell him school isn't all that it's cracked up to be." Oh my God, I had no shame.

          "I'm sure the four year old appreciates all you've said since we've sat down." James retorted and I could hear the smile in his voice. I shut my mouth and simply kept on eating.

_________________

           I used to hate first days of school and that had started ever since I was a kid. The earliest memories that I have are of my first day of elementary school. I had just moved in with a new family so I had to, of course, change school which wasn't the hardest part of it all.

One Day, Maybe.  #NewAdultOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara