Ch. 16: Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire

( James Darcy's POV )

         I've learned, in my thirty four years on this earth, that nothing is ever as it seems. I've seen a lot in those years, horrible shit, simple what-the-fuck-shit that made me think that nothing could really shock me anymore. But boy was I wrong, because this right here, this....

          "Fuck me!" I slammed the paper on the table, not worried about the stares I was getting from the people at the little café I had told Dimitri to meet me at. Next to me, sitting like the big boy he is and eating his fried ice-cream, I heard Sebastian giggled making some of the ice cream spill from his mouth. This, any other day would have been funny and I would have been laughing right along with him, but was simply a speck of dust in the cluster-fuck that was the news I had just received from Dimitri.

         "Ghost, are you sure about this? You have to be a hundred and ten percent sure about this because this shit is going to fuck with a lot of people." I had to make sure the information was accurate, not because I didn't trust Dimitri and his work, but because this was possibly going to open old wounds and create new ones. And this time, there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. I would have to let it happen and hope that it wouldn't do too much damage.

         "Darcy, You know I would never bring it to you if it wasn't accurate or I had doubt. I've double checked and it seems legit, everything checked out. The only thing that's left is to do the test." He replied.

         "Fuck, this is not good." I admitted, reaching for my baseball hat on my head which I pulled off and placed on top of the file Dimitri had handed me earlier. I looked around me for nothing in particular, just at the decent amount of people that were in the café, most of them dealing with their own issues, minding their own business.

          A few tables to my left was a girl who started laughing out loud while her friend, sitting across from her, tried to keep it in. This reminded me of Charlotte and the fact that when she found something truly hilarious, she would laugh so hard that she would start snoring like a little pig, not worried about the people around her. I smiled fondly at the women.

         Charlotte was the one who had introduced me to this place since she and Rose lived only a couple of blocks away at the time. They used to love coming here, she had told me, especially for their ice coffee. She was also very adamant on the fact that Starbucks was simply too overrated and overpriced. When I replied that she could afford it, she glared at me and said that money wasn't the issue and also, it was important to support local business and help them thrive.

         "What are you thinking about doing?" Dimitri asked, the coffee he had ordered earlier, to his lips.

         "I'm not sure, but I'll wait for the results before mentioning anything to Charlotte and go from there. I'm sure this won't be the only thing she'll be upset at me for hiding it from her." I wasn't one to panic when things got messy and tricky, as I've always had things under control for the most part, though, I was still working on a few things, I believed I've come along way from my breaking everything and lashing out days.

          I've learned that fighting fire with fire usually resulted with you getting a possible third degree burn, though I was one to sometimes not listen to that at all.

         Dimitri moved the coffee cup from his lips to the table after a few sips, before running his fingers into his thick, dark mane.

         "Do you want my opinion?" He asked, his eyes darting over the pedestrians walking by the café, seemingly distracted by something across the street.

          "That would be a no." I replied. Dimitri was the one who had asked to sit outside of the café, explaining that he wanted to enjoy whatever was left of the summer weather as we were entering fall.