Chapter 4

I didn't see Aidan on Thursday or Friday until Friday after school. I see him sitting on my porch, swinging in the swing chair. "Uh?" I give him a questioning look and he clears his throat, sitting up.

"Sorry, I don't mean to disturb you but can you watch my sister for like two hours? I have to go to work and I don't have anyone to watch her." He says, standing up.

"Can you be back before 6?" I ask, worrying about the date. He nods.

"Anna's sick so I can't leave her alone. I don't want to infect anyone but I have to since I'm being threatened to be fired."

"Oh, poor thing. What is she sick with?"

"I think the flu." He shrugs. "She's sleeping right now."

"Alright. I just, uh, have to go get something. I'll be right over."

"Okay." He walks down the steps and goes back to his house as I walk into my house. I drop my bag off on my bed and grab the bag I need for the date so I can head to Rea's right after Aidan gets back.

I walk over to Aidan's house and knock on his door. Aidan opens the door and let's me in. "Uh, this is the living room and the kitchen is obviously over there and the bathroom is right there and Anna's room is right beside it on the right." He points out all four rooms. "She's still sleeping. If she wakes up, the medicine is on the kitchen counter and there's water in the fridge."

"Okay."

"Oh and my aunt might be here before I get back, if she does, you can leave and I'll get you some money soon."

"No, don't pay me. You need the money more than I do."

"Are you sure?" I nod. "Okay. Well, I have to go."

"Bye."

"Thanks, again, Charlotte." I nod and he leaves.  I sigh and look around the room. The kitchen is connected to the living room without a wall and there are four doors. They're all white but one has a sign that says Anna in cursive. And I assume that the door on the left is the bathroom. The only two rooms that I might need.

I slowly sit down on his brown couch and pull my phone out of my jacket pocket.

Rea:

Your date might be a little bit late.

Me:

Okay....Should I still come over to your house before?

Rea:

Of course! Be here around 6!

"Aidan!" I hear Anna call from her room and then vomiting. I rush into her room and rub her back, holding her hair back. She pulls away from the bucket. "Charlie?" She asks, laying on her pillows.

"Hey, Anna," I say softly. "How are you feeling?"

"Like crap." She mutters. "Why are you here?"

"Aidan had to work. Do you want me to get your medicine?"

"Please." I nod and walk into the kitchen. I grab the bottle and a bottle of water. I hand Anna two pills and the uncapped water bottle. "Thank you."

"Okay, are you feeling fine for now? Can I empty the bucket?" She nods and covers herself back up with her blanket. I empty the bucket and wash it and take it back to her. She was fast asleep. I place the bucket next to her bed and I walk out of her room quietly.

Anna doesn't wake up until about an hour later. "Do you need anything, Anna?" I ask as she walks into the living. She shakes her head and lays down on the couch and place the bucket on the ground. She places her head in my lap. I cover her up with the blanket on the back of the couch and rub her arm.