Chapter 10

Waking up, I find myself laying next to Aidan...again. But this time, I'm not too fast to move away. I...attempt to get up gently so I don't wake him but he just grips me tighter. "Aidan?" I ask, shaking him a bit. He groans and his nose scrunches up a bit. "Aidan." I say a bit louder.

"Hmm?" He groans and his eyes flutter open just a little.

"I have to go home." I respond, trying to get up but he shakes his head and hugs me closer to his chest. I smile slightly. "My dad's probably worried sick...I told him I would be home yesterday..." Then I remembered about school today. I immediately start freaking out. "Aidan! School!" I push his chest and he falls off the couch. I grab my phone to see it's only 6:00 am. "I really have to go! See you at school!" I jump off the couch and start to walk out the front door.

"Do you want a ride to school?" Aidan asks.

"...Sure." I walk out of his house and run to mine. I gently close the door and notice my dad sleeping on the couch with Jeanine nowhere to be seen. I sneak down the hallway and get into the shower before anyone wakes up.

As I'm pulling my clothes on, there's a knock on my bedroom door. "Charlotte? Are you back?" Jeanine asks. I finish pulling my shirt on and open my door.

"Yeah. Uh, I was actually going to come home last night but I fell asleep watching the movie with Aidan. I'm really sorry. I know I was rude yesterday. I'm glad you're moving in, well not glad but...glad but not, do you know what I mean? I'm sorry. I'm confusing myself." I ramble. Jeanine chuckles and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Charlotte, it's okay. I thought your dad had talked to you already. I'm not mad at you for running off...but your dad's a different story."

"He's going to be so angry when he wakes up. I'm going to be...grounded! I can't be grounded! I was asked out today and if I tell him I can't go, he'll think I didn't want to go! Jeanine! I really want to go on this date!"

"Sorry, Charlotte, but you can't. You're grounded for a week." Dad says, walking in.

"No, Dad! Please! I really, really was going to come home yesterday but I fell asleep! You can ask Anna and Aidan! Please!"

"Sorry, Charlotte. I can't just stand by and do nothing while you run off without telling me where you're going."

"You saw me go to Aidan's house! You knew exactly where I was going!"

"Stop arguing with me." I run my hands through my wet hair and turn away from them.

"...I have to finish getting ready so can you..."

"Yeah. Come on, Andy." Jeanine says, pulling him out by his arm. I groan quietly and finish getting ready, angrily.

"I don't understand." I mumble. "He very, very rarely grounds me and I didn't even do anything this time. He knew exactly where I was going. Why didn't he just knock on the door and ask Aidan where I was? This is...is my fault." I groan again. "I should've talked with them."

I grab my backpack and walk out of my room. "Here's my phone. I'm going to school." I tell Dad, putting my phone on the table next to him. "Bye." I leave the house and go over to Aidan's.

"Anna's almost ready. I just have to grab my stuff." I nod and sit down on the couch.

"Thirty minutes!" Aidan shouts. He sits down next to me and smiles.

"I...I can't go...on the date tonight." His smile instantly falls. "It's not that I don't want to...I'm grounded for a week. I honestly was really looking forward to it if that makes you feel better."