Chapter 16

I woke up with my eyes burning and my nose running slightly. I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes. I told you not to fall for him... I groan quietly and walk into the bathroom. I look into mirror and try to smile but I can't. I look like crap. My eyes are so red and my cheeks have dried tears on them. My hair is everywhere. I pull my hair into a very messy bun and washed my face with warm water.

"Charlie? Are you in there?" I hear Rea asks, knocking. I open the door and she smiles sadly. "Morning. You have text messages." She hands me my phone and I groan looking at it.

Aidan:

Where are you?

Aidan:

Did you talk your way out?

Aidan:

Charlotte?

Aidan:

Please respond!

Aidan:

Charlotte, I just got ahold of Luna...Please talk to me!

Aidan:

Let me explain!

They continued on and on. I had ten missed calls from him as well. Rea wraps her arms around me. "I feel so bad." She whispers.

"Why?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

"It was my fault that you two got together. Remember? The double date?"

"It wasn't your fault. I promise. I could've told him no when he asked but I gave him a chance." She shakes her head.

"Let's eat some ice cream for breakfast." I shake my head, laughing and wiping my eyes.

"I'll make us some pancakes."

"You sure?" I nod and go downstairs with her to cook.

"What's that smell?" I hear Luna ask from behind me.

"Chocolate chip pancakes...They're my favorite comfort food." I mumble, flipping a pancake.

"Charlie, he doesn't deserve you. What he did was a real di-" Luna starts but I cut her off.

"He kept telling me that he would never do that to me..." Tears start to roll down my cheeks, "He kept saying he changed...he...he lied..." I put the last pancake on the plate and put the plate on the table. "I told myself I would never fall in love again..." I grab a pancake and pinch pieces off, stuffing them in my mouth.

"Charlie, all will be okay. It's not the end of the world. Why don't we go shopping? That always cheers me up." Rea suggests, putting her hand on my arm. I shrug.

"I want to go home but...he lives next door and...I know if I go home he'll come over...Could someone come spend a couple days with me?" Rea nods and squeezes my arm.

"Of course. I'll go pack a bag and wake Jade up." I nod and she walks upstairs.

"Charlie, I'm so sorry!" Luna says, hugging me.

"Why is everyone apologizing? You haven't done anything."

"I dragged you to that party and I set you and Aidan up..."

"If you wouldn't have taken me to that party, I never would've known. I'm thankful..."

"...You're...thankful?" I nod and try to smile but it didn't work. "I love you." She says, hugging me tightly.

"I love you, too."

We get to my house around 6 pm. I get out of Jade's car with Rea following. "Talk to you later!" Luna says as we get out. I nod and walk up the stairs to my house.

"Charlotte? Please wait!" I hear Aidan call from behind me. I wince and hurry inside. "Charlotte, please." I can hear pain in his voice.

"Come on, Charlie. Let's go inside." Rea whispers and I nod. Dad and Jeanine are sitting on the couch when we walk in. "Good morning, girls. Did you have fun last night?" Jeanine asks. I shrug.

"Is it okay if Rea stays the night for a couple days?" I ask.

"Of course but why?" Dad asks.

"I just really need her right now." They nod and we go to my room. "We can bring in the air mattress later." She nods.

"This is going to be a lot of fun! We can braid each other's hair and paint our nails and dance around and be stupid." I smile and nod.

"You're right! Let's just forget about boyfriends and think about different things." She smiles and nods.

"Hey, girls, we're going out drinking with a few friends, okay? Call if you need anything." Jeanine tells us.

"Okay. Have fun." I say as she leaves. We hear the door shut. I turn to Rea, "Wanna make chocolate chip cookies?"

"Of course!" We both giggle and go to the kitchen. I pull the stuff out and start making them. "Do you have the recipe memorized?" I nod, smiling, at the amazement in her voice.

"It was my great grandmother's recipe, passed down. My mother and I used to make it all of the time." I hear a knock on the door and turn towards it, hoping to see who it is. "Here. Can you mix these while I get it?" Rea nods and takes over the job. "And no eating it. It's not good for you."

"Yes, Mother." She says, rolling her eyes. I laugh and open the door, my smile leaving my face. I go to close the door but he puts his hand on the door and pushes it back. "Charlotte-"

"No, stop. I don't want to hear your excuses." I tell him, trying to close the door but he pushes it back.

"Please, just listen!" I shake my head and push the door but he's stronger. "Charlotte, what I did was horrible and I hate myself for it-"

"You promised me! You're a liar! You told me you wouldn't ever hurt me like that!"

"I didn't mean to break my promise! I was drunk and I-I-"

"So, you broke two promises?! You broke your promise to me and to your little sister!"

"Please, Charlotte, just listen to me!"

"Aidan, you basically tore my heart out and stomped on it! My heart is too weak to go through anymore! I need you to go, please." He sighs.

"Here. Please just take this." He extends an envelope towards me. I hesitate. "Please." His eyes hold a pleading, sad look. I slowly grab it and he slowly walks back to his house, lighting a cigarette on the way.

It then dawned on me that I haven't seen him smoke since we started hanging out. I close the door behind me and stare down at the envelope in my hand. "Charlie? What happened?" Rea asks, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, Aidan tried to apologize but I can't give him another chance. He gave me this and walked away."

"What's in it?" I shrug.

"I'm not going to open it." I throw it onto the coffee table and we get started on the cookies again.