Chapter 5

*Two Weeks Later*

As soon as I got home from school, I regretted coming home. I had walked into the house everyone screamed Surprise! and I jumped, my stuff falling on the floor. Luna, Henry, Rea, Dylan, Lewis, and Jade are here. As is Dad and that blonde lady that I saw when I got back from my date two weeks ago.

I take a deep breath and try to calm my heart that feels like it's beating a hundred miles per minute. There's a banner hanging on the wall that says Happy Birthday! and a table with presents and a vanilla cake with light orange icing on it. "Happy Birthday, Charlotte!" Luna exclaims, hugging me. Then Rea, then Jade, then Lewis. Dylan and Henry just wished me a happy birthday.

I walk over to my dad and the lady. "Happy Birthday, sweetie." Dad says, hugging me. I smile. Dad puts a hand on my shoulder and turns to face the lady. "Charlotte, this is Jeanine, my...girlfriend." I freeze and my whole body just stops working, including my brain. I didn't hear what anyone was saying but I saw everyone's lips moving, including Jeanine and my dad's.

Everything seems to unfreeze and I shake Dad's hand off my shoulder. "I...I, uh, I'm going to...go outside....Get fresh air." I push past everyone and to the back door.

"Charlie?" I hear people ask as I move past everyone. I don't stop when I get outside. I keep walking until I get out of the view of the house.

"He told me..." I whisper to myself, crying a bit. "He told me he wouldn't fall in love again..." I shake my head and sit down on the cold snowy ground. I lean against the tree and pull my knees up to my chest.

"Excuse me?" I don't have to turn around to know it's Aidan. "Oh, Charlotte, is that you?" I continue to cry quietly and softly. "Are...you okay?" I nod and then shake my head then nod. "Can I...sit?" I shrug and he sits next to me on the ground. He hesitantly puts a hand on my shoulder. I jump at the touch as there's another shock the goes through my body. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." He does it again but this time I let him. "I...I'm not good at this stuff." He mumbles.

"Huh?" I ask, looking up at him before I realize I probably look ridiculous. I look away again.

"I don't...I don't usually have to cheer someone up. I don't know how to." I smile slightly. "Happy Birthday, anyway, but right now, I doesn't seem like a good one so far."

"Thank you." I smile again.

"Um, if you want, you can come with to pick Anna up? I assume you just want to get out of here."

"I would love to, but my, uh, birthday party."

"It's cool. I...was just offering." I looked up at him to find his eyes filled with worry and- I think- sadness. The look in his eyes make my heart hurt a bit.

"When are you leaving?"

"Soon."

"Will come to...my party with me? So, I can tell my dad." He hesitates but nods. He helps me up and we walk inside together.

As I walk inside, I notice no one is there, except my dad. "Charlotte? I'm sorry. Are you okay?" Dad asks, trying to hug me but I back up a bit.

"I'm...going to go with...Aidan to pick his sister up." I tell him, looking away from him.

"But...it's your birthday." I nod.

"I know it is but...I need to get away." Dad looks hurt when I look back at him but he nods anyway. I nod back and I leave the house with Aidan next to me.

"You can get in the car. I just have to get something from inside." Aidan says, looking at me. I nod and we split up. I go to the car as he goes inside. He got in the car soon after with a few waters and a couple other things. He starts driving with the radio on.