Chapter 17

I wake up with Rea's hair in my mouth. We decided to just sleep in my bed together because we couldn't find the air mattress. I slowly crawl out of bed and walk down the hallway to the kitchen. As I wait for the coffee I notice the envelope sitting on the counter by the coffee maker. I sigh and grab it, taking it to my room and throwing it in a drawer where hopefully I forget about it.

"Charlie? Are you making coffee?" Rea asks, sitting up and yawning. I nod. "Great!" We go back into the kitchen and I start making some biscuits and gravy.

"Good morning, girls." Dad grumbles, walking in and sitting at the table with Rea and Jeanine.

"Morning, Dad, Jeanine. How was yesterday?"

"Fine but I regret it because I have to be at work in an hour and a half." Jeanine mumbles.

"I have to leave in an hour." Dad says.

"Maybe you shouldn't have went drinking on a work night." I tell them and they both groan at me. I smile slightly and continue breakfast while they all make conversation.

After breakfast, Rea and I go to the living room and start watching Kitchen Nightmares. "Hey, honey, we need to talk when I get back from work. It's about the new house." Dad says, pulling his coat on. I nod and he leaves.

"I can't believe you have to leave when you like just got here." Rea says. I nod.

"I'm glad I won't be neighbors with...him anymore, though. I'll miss you guys." She nods, agreeing.

A couple hours later, we hear a knock on the door. "It better not be Aidan." I hear Rea grumble as I get up to answer it. I smile at her and then open the door. "Anna?" I ask, tears are streaming down her face and her eyes are all red from crying. I grab her arm and pull her inside. She wraps her cold arms around me and I hug her back tightly. "What's wrong?" I ask, rubbing her back.

"Aid-Aidan just tol-told me and-and he-he said he's sen-sending me to live with Lin-Linda.." Anna stutters out.

"Anna...it's probably best...Your brother isn't the most trustworthy person..." She nods, agreeing with me. "He's lied and broke so many promises. You might be better with Linda for a little while, okay? Your brother loves you but he's only eighteen and can barely take care of himself."

"If he loved me, then why did he break his promise? Why is he lying to me? He loves you and look what happened... He ruined everything so now he's ruining everything between me and him!" She sniffles. "He's all I have, Charlie...I need him..." I nod and hug her tighter. Rea gives Anna a few cookies and hot chocolate as we sit down on the couch.

"Anna, maybe you should give him some time. He ruined everything between Charlie and him so now he hates himself. He's trying to push everyone close to him away. Just make sure he knows that you love him and need him, okay? It'll get better, I promise." Rea says, smoothing down Anna's hair.

"You know, when our mom passed away, he promised her that he would always watch over me... Ever since he's always had my back and he never lets me too far from him for long. I've always been thankful to have an older brother, especially when Mom died." I squeeze her hand. "And now he's sending me miles away from him and he won't be there...What am I going to do?"

"You're going to make sure he knows how much he means to you and listen to him. Just give him time to come to his senses." I tell her.

She ends up falling asleep with her head in my lap and her feet across Rea. Someone knocks on the door and Rea gets up to get it. "Is Anna here?" I hear Aidan ask. I feel my body stiffen and turn to see him walking inside. "I'm just getting my sister." He snaps before I can say anything. I nod and shake her gently to wake her up.

"Anna, your brother's here. It's time for you to go home." She grumbles and opens her eyes slowly. She sits up and hugs me.

"Bye, Charlie." She whispers. "Thanks, Charlie and Rea." We smile and nod as she and Aidan leave.

"I love her. She's so sweet." Rea says. I nod.

"I'm going to miss her."

"Aidan seemed mad."

"I don't want to talk about him..." Rea nods and squeezes my hand.

"Alright."

Jeanine and Dad come home around 5:30, while I'm making spaghetti for dinner. "Hey. How was your day?" Jeanine asks.

"Good. We just watched TV all day." Rea says.

"How was work?" I ask. Jeanine groans and shakes her head.

After dinner, I start to do the dishes with Rea when Dad clears his throat. "Charlie," I turn to look at him but then back at the dishes. "We're leaving on Friday." I stiffen and turn to look at them.

"What? I'm not ready to leave. We haven't even looked at the house."

"We did while you were at Rea's. We told you and you said okay."

"I don't remember this conversation..."

"Anyway, it's a really nice house and we've already bought it. We're leaving on Friday so we're going to start packing tonight." Jeanine says. I sigh and look over at Rea.

"Everything will be okay. Remember, you're getting away from Aidan." She whispers to me. I nod and finish up the dishes.

"Do you want help packing?" Rea asks.

"Sure but you really don't have to."

"I insist." I nod and go grab boxes and my suitcases. We pack away the stuff I don't need, like books and most of my clothes and that stuff.

"...My room looks so bare now.." I mutter, looking around it. "Apart from the boxes."

"We're still going to be friends. You can't get rid of us." I laugh slightly and hug her.

"I'm going to go take a shower."

"I'm braiding your hair when you get out."

"Okay." I smile.