Chapter 8: Full of Surprises (Picture of Engagement Ring)

Waking up with the sun peeking through the windows on our naked bodies tangled together, I couldn't help but feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I wouldn't mind experiencing this every day for the rest of my life.

As I gazed up at Zac's angelic face, which was peacefully asleep...I noticed the shiny diamond that sparkled on my left ring finger resting on his muscular chest. I still can't believe he proposed...wait until I call Reese!!

I glanced over at the alarm clock on the night stand and noticed it was only 8:00AM, which means I only got four hours of sleep last night. My energy is probably fueling off of all the excitement.

Wanting to do something nice for Zac, since he was full of surprises last night, I decided to sneak out to his favorite cafe and pick up breakfast for us and Chad. 

We were only a few blocks away from our parent's condos which meant the cafe was close by. Trying my best to inconspicuously roll out of the bed without waking Zac, I got dressed quickly in the same outfit I had on last night. What? I have no clothes here as of yet!

As I pushed the elevator button and made my way to the front entrance, I was greeted by a very pleasant Mr. Jackson.

"Good morning Ms. Debevoise." He said with a big smile and knowing nod as he opened up the door for me.

"Morning Mr. Jackson, thank you." I responded and made my way outside. It was sunny out with a few clouds littering the blue sky, the wind blowing lightly.

I started walking towards the cafe which was two blocks east. I already decided I'd pick up some breakfast for Mr. Jackson also...my way of saying thanks for being so kind.

The cafe was bustling already busy with the morning rush of people trying to get their caffeine fix before heading into work. I ended up ordering a bunch of breakfast sandwiches and four large coffees.

How convenient, I thought as I carried one simple shopping bag that held my entire order. I was grateful for the tall cardboard cup holder they gave me, instead of one of those cheap flimsy recyclable ones that make all your drinks tip over!

Making my way around the last corner before I reached the entrance of our building, I was bumped into roughly by someone who came jogging around the corner.

Shutting my eyes tightly, I braced myself by throwing my hand behind me for the fall backwards...but the fall never came. I was quickly grabbed by the waist and held up from the ground.

"Mikaila?" His voice came out raspy and out of breath from jogging...but I recognized that voice anywhere. It was mere inches away from my own face as his strong arms brought me back to a standing position.

I opened my eyes slowly and cringed a bit as I came face to face with Ethan. Just my luck! I was hoping I could avoid him as long as I possibly could.

"Hi Ethan." I said with a small smile as I took a step to the side trying to put some space between us.

"What're you doing around here?" His voice sounding pleasantly surprised as he pulled out the ear buds connected to his Ipod.

Not knowing if I should tell the truth or lie and say I was visiting my parents...I decided to be honest. After all honesty is the best policy.

"Umm, Zac surprised me last night. He got us a place here for after graduation so he wanted to show me what it looked like." I responded looking over at him. He looked good wearing a black a-shirt and black basketball shorts. Sweat running down his muscular body.

I haven't seen or spoken to him since he made that confession to me at the car show. I was hoping things between us wouldn't be awkward if we ran into one another again, and by the look of things it wasn't.