Chapter 19: Say It Ain't So!

"So kids, since Thanksgiving is only four days away, we've decided instead of our traditional Sullivan and Debevoise family dinner...we're going to visit your grandparents." My mom announced as the six of us sat around the table at Sunday Brunch.

My eyes widened in surprise...no traditional Thanksgiving dinner? "Wh-what?" I stuttered in shock.

My mom faithfully cooked every year! What did she mean this year would be different?

"Honey, you and Zac are more than welcome to come with us." She offered with a smile.

"You know grandpa and grandmom don't have much time left, so your father and I were thinking of spending our four days off visiting both sets of grandparents this year." Mom explained slowly as though she was speaking to a small child.

Although at this point and time, that's exactly what I felt like...a child that was told that there's no Santa and no Easter Bunny!

I could hear Zac's mom in the background telling him the same exact thing my mom was except she was explaining it with his grandparents.

"Kaila, you know we rarely get days off. We'd like to spend it doing something enjoyable." My mom explained as she looked over to my Dad for some sort of reassurance.

I guess the look of desperation that plagued my face had her worried she was making a wrong decision.

So what did this mean? Cooking dinner for your family and friends wasn't something Mom thought to be enjoyable?

Now that I thought about it how much fun could it possibly be to spend all day in the kitchen on your day off?

I could understand where they were coming from, it's been a while since I last saw my grandparents...either set. Yes, they were older but really...Thanksgiving?!?

"Can't they just come visit for Thanksgiving?" I suggested with a bit of hope in my voice.

My mom let out an exasperated sigh. "Honey don't be silly, you know with Grandpa's heart condition he can't fly anymore." She said waving her hand dismissively, taking a drink from her glass of orange juice.

So what did this mean? Zac and I were on our own for Thanksgiving this year unless we decided to tag along with our parents?

I know...I know...I seem like I'm regressing. All my life I've been so mature and basically grown up on my own with Zac.

Now that I'm older and have gotten closer to my parents...I didn't know how to act. Thanksgiving was ALWAYS spent together...it was my own mother's cardinal rule and how ironic she's the one breaking it!

As though Zac could sense my distress, I felt his warm hand cover my own and squeeze it reassuringly.

Instead of the distraught look that plagued my face, Zac looked like he was filled with excitement? He didn't seemed surprised in the least bit...which made me wonder if he already knew this was coming.

The rest of brunch passed by in a daze as our parents chatted with one another about work. All I kept thinking about was no Thanksgiving!

Don't think I'm being a heffer only worrying about food...ok, ok I was thinking about missing out on my mom's delicious food! So what?!?

Zac leaned over and whispered in my ear. "Don't look so upset beautiful, Thanksgiving's going to be great..." His voice was chipper and his eyes lit up. "I already have a surprise in mind."

Even though Zac's surprises were always the best...it still didn't make up for the fact that we'd be spending a time when we were supposed to be with family, alone.