Chapter 15: Time Away

Pulling into a parking spot on campus, I finally allowed my emotions to get the better of me. I couldn't think of anywhere else to go so that I could let it all out.

If I went back to the apartment, I ran the risk of having Aiden or Chad coming out and seeing me there bawling my eyes out. There was also a chance Zac would rush back there to try and talk to me.

There was a constant flow of tears out my eyes. Ever cry so hard that you start gasping for air? Well that was me.

My nose was stuffy and my mascara was probably smeared all over my face, but who cares?!? I didn't know whether or not I wanted to be angry or hurt...maybe a little of both.

My cell phone kept ringing with incoming calls and text messages from Zac that I had to put it on vibrate. The constant beeping sounds were irking my last nerve.

When I finally managed to calm down I grabbed my phone and noticed I had twenty missed calls, two voicemails, and four text messages. The texts read as following:

- Kai, answer the phone...let me explain.

- It's not what u think beautiful, please answer the phone.

- Kai, I'm begging you 2 please answer the phone.

- I'm going crazy here please answer!!

Next I put my phone on speaker and listened to the voicemails. Zac's voice came out distraught and stressed over the speaker.

4:00 PM- "Kai, answer the phone. You need to let me explain what you just saw. I swear to you there's nothing going on between me and Taylor. When you get this message, please call me."

4:45 PM- "Kai, I'm home and you're not here. I called Colby to see if you went into work early and your not there either. Where are you beautiful? Please..." His voice broke off suddenly as I heard a sharp intake of breath. "Please Kai, I'm losing my mind over here...please just call me when you get this message."

I took the liberty of deleting all the texts and voicemails afterwards. I'm the type of person that if it's out of sight it's out of mind...or at least I hoped.

A sudden knock on my window startled the crap outta me. Jumping up to the point where I almost hit my head on the inside roof of the car, I hesitantly turned to my left to see Hunter standing there.

At first he was happy to see me there, but once he saw my expression a concerned look came over his face. I probably looked like a hot mess...somewhere along the lines of a drowned raccoon.

I cleared my throat and rolled my window down, "Hey Hunt." My voice croaked.

"Kaila...what's wrong...are you ok?" He asked worriedly. "I just got out of my last class and saw your car here."

I shook my head at him, not being able to form any words as a few more traitorous tears escaped from my eyes. I tried to discreetly swipe them away, but it was too late he saw them fall.

"Hey...hey...come here." He said gently as he reached his arm into my open window, unlocking and opening my car door. Hunter grabbed my arm and ushered me out of the car. "Whatever it is that happened I'm sure it'll be ok." He comforted as he enveloped me into a hug.

It felt nice to have someone hug me and tell me everything was going to be alright, because the way I was feeling at this point...it felt as though it was the end of the world.

Somehow the hug managed to push me even more over the edge unravelling me. It caused me to sob uncontrollably into Hunter's chest.

My own heart feeling as though it was splitting right down the middle. I felt like an idiot standing there crying all over Hunter, when he had nothing to do with this at all.