Chapter 1

Escaped: Chapter 1

Authors Note: This is my first ever 1D story. Please respect that! Also, I live in America so if I get details wrong please let me know. Any constructive criticism is welcome but please be nice about it. Hope you like my story :)xx

"Lottie? Lottie! Charlotte!"

I jerked awake at the sound of my name being called.

"Yes, mum?"

My mother walked into the living room where I had fallen asleep while reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
She had her red brown hair pulled into a pony tail, the gray streaks being more evident, and was wearing her faded blue apron.

"Sorry, love," she chuckled. "I didn't mean to wake you."

I rubbed my eyes and placed my book on the couch next to me. I looked over at the warm fire that was blazing in the hearth across the room.

"No it's fine. What'd you need?"

"We've run out of milk. Do you think you could go down the street and get some more?"

I groaned.
"But it's freezing out! Couldn't dad just pick it up on his way home?"

My mom shook her head and told me, "Your dad is monitoring over night so he won't be home until tomorrow."

"Oh."

My dad was a warden at a maximum security prison about six miles from my house. I hated it when he was assigned monitoring because that meant he and some other guy were stuck in a small room all until dawn doing nothing but looking at cameras and computer screens. I guess I just didn't like that it kept him away from home overnight.

"Okay. I'll get it." I smiled at her.

The only thing I hated more than my dad being gone was thinking about my mom when my dad was gone. I would hate to think the love of my life was stuck babysitting murderers and rapists all night long.

"Thank you, Charlotte," she said as she disappeared into the kitchen.

I got up and went to the entryway where I slipped my boots on and grabbed my coat. I took the money from my mom, pulled my blue knit hat on, and I was out the door.

I put my ear buds in and turned up the volume to Imagine Dragons' song "Fallen," and began walking down the sidewalk, the freshly fallen snow crunching under my feet.
_

Tiffany Hale handed Charlotte a £10 note and kissed her on the head.

"Bring me the change," she said.

"M'k," her daughter said as she closed the door behind her.

Tiffany went back up the stairs and into the kitchen. She walked over to the plain, beige colored counter top and picked up the box of brownie mix. She glanced out the window.
It was snowing pretty heavily.
Maybe sending her daughter out was a bad idea after all.
She went to the phone to call Charlotte. She'd send her home. No one should be out in this weather.
Before she could pick it up, the phone began to ring.

"Hello," she said into the receiver.

"Tiffany? Honey?" The voice of her husband sounded panicked on the other line.

"Ben? Is everything okay?"

"No," he groaned.

"What's going on?"

"I was knocked out. Peter's dead. They've escaped."

Tiffany gasped. Peter Ellington was Ben's assigned partner for his night shifts.

"Who? Who's escaped?" She panicked.

"Payne. And Horan. Lock the doors and the windows. Stay inside. I'll be there as soon as I can." The line went dead.

Tiffany Hale looked at the phone in horror. Her eyes filled with tears as she dialed her daughter's cell phone number.

"Hi! It's Charlotte! You've reached my voice mail so obviously I can't get to my phone right now but if you leave your name and number-"

She dropped the phone and began to cry.