Epilogue

Escaped: Epilogue

There doesn't seem to be a good way to start this. "Dear, mom," doesn't really seem to cut it, huh?

I wrote and rewrote this a thousand times, unsure of what to say.

But I guess, i've got to start it somehow so let me start by saying that I'm safe and that I'm sorry.

There isn't much I can tell you.
But I want you to know that I am safe, well mostly, and that I am happy. I've met someone and he is absolutely everything I could have ever asked for. He makes me so ... happy. He helps me love the parts of myself I never saw how to love.
He is strong and he will protect me, don't worry. But he is kind and funny and all the cheesy things that you could want in the one you love.

I wish I could tell you about everybody: my friends. I've made a lot of them.
They're goofy and crazy and they're here for me. They feel more like family, really.
But don't worry: no one could ever replace you.

And on to the apology. I left you, mom. All alone. I will never forgive myself for that.
Also, you should know: dad is never coming home. I know you aren't aware of what happened but he won't ever be coming home.
Which is far better than you realize. There is so much that you didn't know about him but I don't want to tell you. You shouldn't have to bear that burden.

Anyways, enough with the depressing bits, yeah?

I want you to do me a favor: move on. The best you can, move on with your life.
Do what you always wanted. See the world, start that novel you wanted to write. Do what makes you happy.

I will always love you, mom. Thank you for everything you have ever done for me. You will always be my best friend.

Forever and always, with all my love,
Charlotte.