Chapter 45

Escaped: Chapter 45

I woke up, the pounding in my head, disorienting me.

I heard someone cry out in pain. I heard yelling and loud crashing sounds.

The events of the previous night coming back to me, I sat up.

I was in a small concrete room, no windows, a door off to my right.
A small, electric lightbulb hanging from the ceiling, provided the only dim light in the room.

I saw Harry. Bleeding Harry.

He was pounding his bloody fists on the wall, screaming. His face was red and his hair was tousled.

I was on my feet in an instant.

I cried his name and ran towards him grabbing him by the arm.

"Harry, stop it!"

He thrashed, pulling his arm from my grip.
He sent another blow into the concrete wall, shouting in rage.

"Harry, please! It'll be okay-"

"No!" He screamed whirling on me. "It won't be okay! Because she's gone! She's gone and she won't be coming back!"

I stared at him, heartbroken.

"It's all my damn fault!"

He kicked the wall and stumbled back. Losing his balance, he fell back onto the floor.

"FUCK!" He grabbed his hair and he just laid there.

Finally the tears came.

I slowly walked over to him and sat down on the floor.
I didn't say a word. I pulled him up and he leaned back against the wall.

Tears streaming down his face, he cried her name.
"Gemma!" Again and again. "GEMMA! Goddammit you can't do this to me. You said you'd never fucking leave me!" He put his head in his hands. "You lied to me!"

I put my arms around him gently and he held on to me, tightly, as if his life depended on it.
Tears welled in my eyes and were quickly streaked down my cheeks.

Gemma was gone.
Gemma. Quirky, cheeky, Gemma.
She took me in when she didn't even know me. She welcomed the boys with open arms, despite what the trouble they brought with them, as if they were family.
Because to her, they were.

She was gone. For good.

"Harry," I said quietly.

He didn't reply.

"They're going to pay for it. We'll make sure of it." The anger creeped into my voice.

Harry was like family to me and so was Gemma. No one could do this to my family. Tear them apart, leave them broken.

No one would get away with it, anyways. I was going to make sure of that.

A/N: I cried while writing this. My heart hurts. Ugh. I can't believe what I've written. Gemma. And Harry. :'( Ouch. Sorry if I emotionally damaged anyone.