Chapter 23

Escaped: Chapter 23

I sat on my bed, removing laundry from the basket next to me, folding it and setting it in a pile on the bed.

I glanced up at the window to see the dark, navy blue curtains were drawn shut.

I expected this.

All the curtains and shades in the house had been drawn shut for the last week and nobody went outside unless it was one of the guys and it was an emergency.

Some of us, me, Louis, and Perrie mostly, were getting some serious cabin fever.

I folded my green sweater and looked over at the framed picture that was on my nightstand. It was of Niall, sitting by the campfire playing his guitar, while Harry and Zayn had ruined the shot by making faces towards the camera in the background.

I thought back to that night: it was really late but we were all outside, gathered around the fire pit, while Niall played his guitar for us.

We ended up getting coaxed by Eleanor to play Truth or Dare, which she must've regretted when she had to tell us about her first kiss with Louis and she got all red in the face.

I, in the end, told some embarrassing stories about my childhood and Zayn ended up in the lake.

I smiled at the memory.

Not much was certain about my crazy, mixed up life, anymore. But one thing was for sure: being here with these people, it felt right.

I heard footsteps and saw Liam walk down the hall, past my open door.

"Hey, Li?"

"Yeah?" He backtracked and poked his head into my room.

"Um, listen." I walked over to him my hands in my back pockets.

"I was thinking about the time when I, uh, overheard-"

"Eavesdropped," he corrected me with a chuckled.

"Yeah, that," I continued. "When I ... eavesdropped on you guys and you showed me those pictures and.."

"I remember," he said crossing his arms and leaning against the door frame. "What's this about? Is everything alright?"

"Well, I heard what you said. I heard you say that you still thought I'd make a run for it if, you know, try to .. escape, if I could."

He gestured for me to go on.

"Well then I heard Louis say he didn't think so, but I wanted you to hear it from me."

I walked over to him, looking up the extra nine inches, he was taller than me. I placed my hand on his cheek.

"I wanted you to know, that if your Range Rover out there had a full tank of gas and a map to anywhere in the world, I would stay right here." I gave a small smile and told him, "Because there's nowhere else I'd rather be."

He looked at me for a moment and I studied his eyes to try and see what he was thinking. But before I could make anything out, he closed the gap between us, crashing his lips onto mine.