Chapter 37

Escaped: Chapter 37

Chapter dedication at the end. Please read.

I collapsed onto my bed and yanked the blankets over myself, as if I could hide from everything that was going on.

I heard the door open and close again, and I felt the bed sink lower next to me.

The blankets were pulled off me just enough the uncover my face.

Liam was laying next to me, sadness in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Char," he said.

I threw my arms around his neck and shook as I attempted to hold in my sobs.

"Shh..." He said. "It'll be over soon."

As if one cue, a loud bang sounded from outside the house.
It echoed through the trees and eventually everything fell silent again.

I bursted into tears and buried my face into Liam's neck.

He rubbed my back, slowly and held me as I cried for who knows how long.

"You know," he whispered after a while. "I wanted to be the one to do it. He put you through so much pain and I wanted to be the one to make him pay for it."

I pulled back, sniffling.

"So why didn't you," I asked.

"Because," he said looking down at me with a sad smile. "You are more important to me than the anger I feel towards him. I told you that you never had to be alone, I'm just standing by that."

Tears still leaking out of my eyes, I leaned up and kissed him.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to me," I said.

He placed a hand on either side of my face and wiped my eyes with his thumbs.

"I hate seeing you like this," he said. "He doesn't deserve your tears."

I stayed quiet not taking my eyes from his.

"You're beautiful," he said.

I rolled me eyes and pulled away.

"Oh, this again," he said, sitting up.

"What?" I asked. Like a child, I wiped my nose on my, well his, shirt sleeve.

"Am I ever going to convince you-?" He broke off when I looked down, shaking my head, gently.

"Okay...," he said, shifting so he was farther away from me. He sat there for a moment, studying me.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Your eyes," he said.

"What?" I asked, puzzled.

"I love the crinkles you get by your eyes when you smile and when you laugh. And your freckles, too, I love them."

"This is stupid," I said, started to get up.

"Hold on." Liam wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into his lap. "I'm not done," he said seriously.

"I love the way you lose yourself in your books. The concentration on your face, the way your eyebrows peak up just a little bit."

I felt the heat rushing to my face.

He went on.
"And I love the little dimples in your back, at the bottom of your spine. And the way you mumble in your sleep."

"Okay, stop it," I protested.

"And I love your scars," he said.

I pulled myself up and looked at him, completely confused.
"What did you say?"

He grabbed my wrists and looked down at them.

"They tell me a story," he started. "About a girl who was two steps from hell, but kept fighting. Of a girl who had been through so much, that she didn't deserve. The world crashed down around her, but stood her ground and overcame it all."

He gently kissed my wrists and wrapped his arms back around me.
"That girl was you," he said quietly. "So I want you to say it."

I hesitated, staying silent for a minute.

"C'mon, Char," he said. "It's the truth. I only want to hear it come from your mouth."

I sighed. There was no way I was getting around this.
"I'm beautiful," I mumbled.

"Louder."

"I'm beautiful." I looked at him.
The look in his eyes, the emotions: I saw love and I saw admiration.
I felt the confidence rising in me.

I pulled back farther, grinning.
"I'm not just beautiful, I'm sexy as hell," I said. "And I am one badass motherfucker!"

"There we go!" He broke out into a grin and I leaned into him, giggling.

I laid there, in his arms, silently thanking God for Liam Payne.

I intertwined our fingers.
"Thank you, Li," I told him seriously.

"Anytime, love." He kissed the top of my head. "I mean it," he said. "Anytime, you need me, I'll be here. Always."

A/N: I'm dedicating this chapter to anyone who is struggling with self confidence. I want you to get up right now and find the nearest mirror.
Look at yourself and remind yourself that you are one sexy motherfucker and you are absolutely incredible. There is only one you in this world so I want you to be proud of who you are.
I know we haven't met but I love you, so much. Don't ever forget how much you're worth.