Chapter 34

Escaped: Chapter 34

"Liam, did you hear that?"

I had woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of someone downstairs.

He mumbled, barely awake.
"What is it, Char?"

"I heard something. I think someone's in the house."

Déjà vu.

This got him up. His eyes snapped open and he leaned over to me.

"Are you sure?" He asked. "You weren't just dreaming?"

"No." I shook my head.

He cursed.
He put a firm hand on my arm and looked into my eyes.
"Stay here," he said sternly.
I nodded, frantically.

He climbed out of bed pulling his gun out of its usual hiding place.

"Liam," I whispered.

He stopped in the doorway and looked back at me.

"Be careful," I begged him.

He nodded and said, "Lock the door behind me."

I obeyed and then sat back on the bed.

I was wearing nothing but one of his teeshirt and a pair of his boxers.
This seemed to happen a lot.

I sat there, the silence killing me.
The only thing I could do was try and keep positive thoughts in my head, which I was doing a poor job at.
What if it was the Wanted, again? What if they found us? Liam went down there alone. What if he was outnumbered? Would he be okay?

I jerked when I thought I might've heard a bit of a scuffle from down the stairs.
I sprung up and went for the door.

My hand was on the cold, metal handle, when I froze, remembering what happened last time. Remembering the look in Liam's eyes when he told me to stay here, it made me stop.

I didn't move from the door though, I kept my ear pressed to the wood.
Another minute of silence passed before I heard his call.

"Charlotte! Come down here!"

I quickly undid the lock on the door and ran down the carpeted steps, skipping every other one.

I found him in the living room with the silhouette of another person. The person was on there knees, their hands on the back of their head.
Liam has his gun pressed to their skull.

"Turn on the lights," he instructed.

I walked over and switched on the table lamp.

My breath hitched in my throat and I saw, clearly, the face of the other man in the room: Benjamin Hale.