Chapter 44

Escaped: Chapter 44

A/N: Sorry, this isn't one of my better ones.

Gemma walked into the kitchen.

She smirked when she saw Liam and I embracing.

"Sorry," she said. "I seem to interrupt you guys a lot."

I chuckled.

"It's okay," Liam said.

"I came to see if you guys needed a hand but I see you've got it covered," she winked and headed back out to the campfire.

Liam and I grinned at each other, grabbed the s'mores, some metal pokers for the marshmallows, and followed her to the back.

I sat down next to Gemma and handed her the bag of marshmallows.

"Finally," Niall groaned.

"Seriously," Louis laughed. "You'd think you guys were doing something else in there..."

"Shut it," I laughed, throwing a piece of chocolate at him.

"Ooh," Eleanor piped up. "Niall was doing this cool thing on his guitar that he showed Gem-"

Gemma interrupted her.

"Yeah," she said, clearly excited. "It was cool because I haven't touched a guitar in years but when-"

And that was it. Those were the last words to ever be spoken by a Gemma Styles.

Because at that moment she lurched, the force of the bullet in her head, sending her body backwards over the stool she was sitting on.

But I didn't have time to think.

The window to my left shattered sending glass in every direction.

The wooden siding of the lake house splintered and broke.

Somewhere in the distance, I heard Harry cry out.

"Get down!" I heard Zayn yell.

I felt someone grab my arm and drag me down.

Liam had a hold of me and was shielding my body with his.

Perrie screamed.

I was vaguely aware of a small pain in my left calf but it didn't seem of importance given everything going on around me.

I felt Liam push me towards to the side of the house.

"Go," he shouted.

"Liam-!"

"Now!"

I didn't want to leave him, or anyone for that matter, but usually when Liam told me to do something, I was smart enough to trust him.

I army crawled to the side of the house where I scrambled to my feet.

I looked around the corner and saw six or seven people with large automatic weapons.

They must've crept up from the woods.

Finally the bullets stopped flying.

I saw Liam and Harry unconscious, Niall clutching a bleeding shoulder, and Eleanor, crying, as one of the masked men grabbed her by her hair.

I wanted to run to them but I had to be smarted than that. I had to find Zayn, Perrie, and Louis. I had to make a plan. I had to do something somewhat useful.

It took everything in me but I turned away and started to run until I saw someone walk forward and block my path.

I froze.

Buzz Cut. Wearing an angry expression, brandishing a pistol.

"No more pleasantries," he said.

I saw the butt of the gun.

Everything went black.