Chapter 5: Um, who the hell hugs random strangers?

 “Uncle Steve?” I ask.

He looks a little surprised and then smiles madly, crushing me in a big hug.

“Steven, what are you doing here?” I hear Dad ask from behind me.

“Daniel, it’s been too long little brother.” Uncle Steve replies.

“You didn’t answer my question.” Dad says.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t notice the tension.

Uncle Steve sighs, “Laura kicked me out.” He admits.

I gasp, Aunty Laura kicked her husband out.

Dad shakes his head and leaves the door.

I look to dad, but he’s already in conversation with Michael. I avert my eyes to the guys, who give me a small shrug.

“Uh, come in Uncle Steve. You can stay here.” I smile.

He gives me a sideways hug and picks up his suitcase.

“Well haven’t you changed, I didn’t even know you were back here.” He says as I lead him up the stairs.

“I guess you and dad don’t talk much anymore.” I reply.

When we get to the guest room, he sighs and sits on the bed.

“It’s complicated Haze.” He replies.

“I’m a big girl now Uncle Steve.” I retort.

“I’ll explain later alright? Just head back to your party, I’ll see you in the morning.” He smiles.

I sigh, giving in, and nod, “Goodnight Uncle Steve.”

“Goodnight Haze.” He smiles.

I close the door and look down the hallway, sensing someone presence.

The three guys come up and smile.

“We’re heading off now, just wanted to say goodbye.” Seth says.

I smile and pull him into a hug, “Thanks, bye.”

I turn to Zach and give him a hug, “You can cook for us anytime you know?” He smirks.

I laugh and turn to Jay, he opens his arms and I hesitantly give him a hug. I feel tingles in my torso and where his arms wrap securely around my waist.

I slightly smile as we release each other, “Thanks for coming guys.” I say.

They wave and walk down the hallway, before they disappear down the stairs, Zach turns around, “Oh, and we’re picking you up at ten tomorrow.”

“Why?” I ask.

They smirk, “It’s the Juelston Valley Fair.” Jay replies.

When they leave, I mentally face palm myself, of course it was the fair tomorrow. There has been posters and adverts all around town.

I take a quick shower and change into my warm pajamas. I head downstairs to make myself a tea before going to bed, when I get to the kitchen I see dad staring out in the darkness through the window.

“You okay?” I ask.

He cuts out of his daze and looks to me, “Yeah, sorry Caterpillar. Where’s Uncle Steve?” He asks.

“In the upstairs guest room.” I reply, coming around the counter and flicking on the kettle.

“Alright.” He replies coldly.