Chapter 7: But of course, this is reality. And reality sucks.

As I walk through the school doors on Monday, people seem to be moving around like zombies. Mindless and dazed.

It’s almost as if their unaware of their surroundings, bumping in to each other and then continuing on their absentminded paths.

And I have to admit, I’m one of those many people on this Monday morning too.

I lazily slump to homeroom and sit down in my usual seat, at least I have my first period in here.

The two seats to my left and the one to my right stay empty as Mr Parker starts the roll call.

About ten minutes later, the door swings open and Zach, Seth, and Jay waltz in.

Mr Parker sighs, but doesn’t even bother with them.

They take their usual seats next to me as Mr Parker starts the first period.

About half an hour into the lesson, I feel my focus start to blur and my head start to droop.

There’s suddenly a sharp sting in my shin and I yelp in pain.

“Is there a problem, Miss Williams?” Mr Parker asks.

“No, sorry.” I apologise.

He looks at me for a second longer and then continues with the lesson.

I glare at Seth, “Did you just kick me?” I whisper.

He snickers along with Zach and Jay, “Maybe.”

I scoff and turn my attention back to the board, “Jerk.”

“What was that?” He asks.

“Oh nothing, I just said-”

“Miss Williams! After school detention for two days.” Mr Parker says.

“But-”

“No buts, I will see you after school.”

I sigh in frustration and sink deeper into my chair, hoping to sink to the ground and just sleep.

But of course, this is reality. And reality sucks.

I ignore the guys for the rest of the class, not really because I want to give them the cold shoulder, but mainly because I didn’t need anymore shit from Mr Parker.

After class, I quickly chuck my books in my locker and grab out my sports uniform. As I’m walking to the gym, I go passed the boys bathroom when the door opens and I get pulled inside.

I look up shocked when I see Seth, Jay and Zach.

What are you guys doing? I can’t be in here!” I complain.

Seth shrugs, “We need to talk to you.”

“And you though here was the best place?” I ask.

They ignore my question though, “Are you mad at us?” Jay asks.

“Mad at you? No. Annoyed at you? Yes.” I reply.

 What’s the difference?” Zach asks.

 I groan, “You got me in detention.”

 Jay smirks, “What, little miss Hazel Williams has never been in detention before?”

 “Y-yes, I have.” I stutter, pulling up my posture.

 The guys gasp, “You haven’t!” Seth replies.

 “I have!” I protest.

 “Okay, what do you do in detention then?” Jay asks, crossing his arms over his chest while smirking.